NVIDIA 7600GS finally working

Old March 12th 07, 11:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
VistaGuineaPig

Default NVIDIA 7600GS finally working

I had lots of trouble switching from my onboard 6150LE graphics to a 7600GS
video card. The main issue was the failure of Vista's Uninstall Feature to
properly remove NVIDIA Drivers and registry entries. The other issue was not
using a DVI cable to allow me to get 1440x900.

Its been a month now, spent countless hours screwing around and tried two
seperate 7600GS cards.

After reading the NVIDIA forums someone mentioned using a program called
Driver Cleaner for $10. Its a program that needs to be run in Safe Mode and
gives you the option to remove WDDM and NVIDIA files and registry entries.
You can do them seperately or all at once.

The basic idea is to while in Windows, use ADD/Remove to remove any previous
NVIDIA Drivers then use Device Manager to remove the current Display Adapter
(defaults back to VGA mode) and then boot to Safe Mode and run the Driver
Cleaner program.

The program does not do anything we cant do manually, basically hunting down
nvidia files and registry entries. The program does it all with a few
clicks. After the countless hours wasted, $10 was worth a try. It worked.

After booting back into windows from safe mode, Vista found new hardware and
installed MS drivers. In my case I ended up with NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
(Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) 7.15 10.9746 8/22/2006

The MS drivers do not give me the NVIDIA Control Panel to make adjustments
and the current NVIDIA driver 101.41 has that option but still does not save
those changes when I hit Apply. So I am staying with the MS driver until MS
releases an update.