Old July 21st 07, 01:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael

Default Internal HD "NOT" Recognized by "My Computer" (This is an Add-

There was a 'lastdrive' in config.sys and a L: parameter in autoexec.bat
and tweakui could make changes in the registery (all prior to Vista).
From your machine description I sorta assumed that you installed Vista from
scratch rather than upgraded. If you upgraded or transfered your settings
from a XP machine then the transfer may have tried to set things up as the
origional.

You could check your current environment variables for funny stuff:
Right click Computer
Properties
Advanced system settings
environment variables

Also if the partion/drive is/was compressed then its real drive letter is
suppressed, its state may be partially retained in its current
configuration.
A drive that was compressed but not properly installed would mess up and
hide letters for drives other than itself!

I think that if tweakui was used to hide the drive then it was really
inaccessable. If lastdrive was how it was done then it could be accessed, it
just didn't show in explorer. That is you could get to it by opening "x:"

I THINK that tweakui did its stuff at
HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\pol icies that was in XP!!!
Nothing there in my Vista.

Hope you are having fun,
Michael

"Seidell23231" wrote in message
Thanks Freddy & Michael,

Tried your suggestions and still a NO SHOW under "Computer". BUT, I think
the limit on Drive Letters may be the solution or problem.

Michael wrote: "I seem to remember that in XP there was a setting that
limited the drive letters visable. Perhaps there is something in Vista of
same function (did
not find it with casual check)."

I removed the drive and added a partition to the external drive. You
guessed it, it did NOT show up! It seems that VISTA will not allow more
than
6 HD letters. So it would seem that the limit may be the issue.

Now, how do I overcome this???

"Seidell23231" wrote:

Hey Freddy,

Been there and tried that. The drive is designated as drive "T" and has
been formatted. Disk Mgmt shows it as Online and Healthy. The drive
shows
up here with no issues and shows in device mgr, also with no issues. NOT
showing under the old title, my computer. Whats next?

"freddy" wrote:

Seidell23231,

Try assigning a drive letter in Disk Management. Right click Computer
(formerly My Computer), then select Manage, and then Disk Management.
You
can also partition and format there. Once you get there, it's pretty
much
self explanatory.
--
freddy

"Seidell23231" wrote:

Hello ALL,

Background:
I have a Sony VAIO VGC RA-710G (Liquid Cooled, Runs Silent); P4 3.2
EE/HT,
3GB PC3200 RAM, ATI 1600XT 512MB GDDR 3, Vista Ultimate 32-Bit,
Seagate 500GB
16MB Burst Internal (Ultra ATA), Western Digital 750GB External, Both
@
7200RPM, Sony DVD/CD DL R/RW +/-, LG DVD/CD R/RW +/- Lightscribe,
Logitech
G15 (Keyboard Illuminates and has a small LCD Screen), Bose Companion
5 5.1
Dolby Digital USB Speakers, Acer AL 2216W 22" WS LCD Screen and a
Power
Supply of 350:

Situation:
Rather than having my original HD just sitting around collecting
dust, I
have decided to add it to the system as the Internal Slave HD. The
HD is a
Hitachi Deskstar 250GB @ 7200RPM. As noted above, this will be the
"3rd" HD
for this system, 2 internal and 1 external.

Problem / Question:
The HD (The add-on internal) is recognized prior to Boot into
Windows. It is
recognized in the Device Management area. It is recognized in the
Admin Tools
Computer Management area as an "Online" Drive, where it has been
formatted
and partitioned. HOWEVER, it is NOT recognized by "My Computer", its
a NO
Show in that area! There are NO error codes for system messages
coming up
indicating a problem.

So how can it appear in every area, except that one? I'm Baffled,
Someone
show me the light...

Joey