Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

RendDX9.dll error

Old March 14th 07, 06:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Steelo

Default RendDX9.dll error

When running BF2142, I get a RendDX9.dll error after 2 hours and crashes to
desktop. I know BF2142 is not DX10 compatable, but could I install DX9c to
solve this problem?
Old March 14th 07, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Dale M. White

You wouldn't be able to play teh game at all if DX9.0c (or higher) wasn't
already installed. Vista uses a DX9.0L though if you do a DXDIAG it says
something like DX9ex. Either way, if BF2142 starts and runs and plays for 2
hours, it's not because you have a DX9.0c issue.

I can get that kind of error on 3dMark06 if I try to overclock my CPU to
hard. It does mean something isn't quite right, and it could be something
like your video card\CPU is getting too hot and it's casuing a problem with
the rendering of the game.

If you really want, there is a DX9.0x runtime update that they updater every
2 months that you can apply, Feb 07 is the latest.

Old March 16th 07, 03:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Ken Napier

I had this BF2142 crash until very recently when I updated my creative
driver for
my X-Fi card.

I believe the beta driver they released in december was causing this crash.

m...

Old March 16th 07, 06:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Dale M. White

Hmm, I have the X-FI card as well and no crashes under BF2142. Maybe when I
installed the driver, I checked the box that says "don't crash my system"

Old March 16th 07, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
~jbird~

Dale-hope you don't mind this intrusion-I'm investigating workarounds in
Vista DX 10-specifically no more HAL, which as I understand, is what
has 'broken' DX support audio---in the pro-audio community. That is,
DirectX plugins won't work in audio editors, and the hardware guyz haven't
released Vista drivers (with few exceptions)-compatibility mode doesn't work
for M-Audio cards at least-and I have seen some good data on Creative's site
about the "problem"-as well as an 'emulator' that they're 'beta'-ing.
Wondering if it's the audio side of DX 10 (the lack of it that is) that's
causing the probs in these games, you're discussing? And are you saying I can
install DX9 and have it work under Vista?

Old March 16th 07, 06:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Dale M. White

I think Microsoft should be kicked for not making this clearer doe everyone.

DX10 and DX9.0c (actually DX 9.0L aka DX9.0ex) are completely seperate
installs in Vista. You have both installed on your system. DX10 for the new
games coming and DX 9.0L is for legacy support, which means it's there to
run all the games that still user DX9 (and 8 for that matter). DX10 is a
complete re-write from teh ground up, fixing all the problems DX9.0c
suffered since it was a add-on to an upgrade to an add-on to and upgrade
going back to I believe DX8.

Anyways, you can install all the DX9.0c related stuff you want and not have
any worries about DX10. Probaly the best way I can describe it, is to say
it's like having Half-life 2 installed and wondering if you can install
Half-life 1. Different apps, the OS won't let you overwrite any of the DX10
files.

If go to the command prompt and type DXDIAG you should see that your system
is DX10 like this pic
http://images1.filecloud.com/389200/DX10.jpg

But if you click Display, you see that it refereces DX9Ex as it's DirectDraw
Interface, because that's what Vista uses for things such as Aero. This in
essences proves you're running both DX9L and DX10 at the same time
http://images1.filecloud.com/389199/DX9Ex.jpg

The Audio issue you might be talking about espeically from the Creative side
of the house, is probably more around the Digital Rights Management rules.
Things are "broken" if you will, because DRm requires a secure connection
that won't allow someone to connect up via the SPDIF or whatever to make
copies of Music and to soem degree movies. If oyu do a search for DRM and
Vista there is a fair amount of details (and ticked off people) about it.

The Audio world is moving away from DX and to OpenAL. I don't follow it that
closely, so someone with more experince knowledge would have to answer any
details

Old March 22nd 07, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

If you install "DirectX 9.0c" on Windows Vista, none of the core runtime
bits will be updated. That means Direct3D, DirectDraw, DirectInput,
DirectSound, DirectShow, DirectMusic, and DirectPlay will be unaffected. The
only thing that is installed are the SDK side-by-side components like D3DX9,
XACT, XINPUT, etc.

If you are having problems with your Direct3D 9 game on Windows Vista, then
it is likely either a compatability issues in the game itself or a problem
in the Windows Vista driver. Trying to install an older version of DirectX
will have no affect.

--
Chuck Walbourn
SDE, Game Technology Group

Old March 15th 08, 06:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
StrayRocket

Hello everyone I have the fix you have all been looking so hard for.
The bf2142.exe app crash that shows RendDX9.dll as the problem is in
fact yet another EA problm. The problem is actually quite simple to fix
and it has NOTHING to do with VISTA, it just happens to show up more in
VISTA.

If you run a dual core CPU, such as a Pentium D or AMD X2, or even a
Pentium 4 with HyperThreading, then this is the fix for you. The game
has compatibility issues with dual core CPUs. So not only is there no
performance boost with dual core CPUs, there are actually issues.

All you need to do is set the affinity to 1 or 2. 1 will use CPU 1 and
2 will use CPU 2. I like to use 2 and let 1 run most the other apps.
The easy way to do this is to open up notepad or what ever you want to
use and enter the following:

CD "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Battlefield 2142"
start /AFFINITY 2 BF2142.exe +menu 1 +fullscreen 1

Then save the file as BF2142.BAT where ever you want it. Now go enjoy
BF2142 since it will no longer crash randomly.

I hope this helps all of you that have been as frustrated as I have
been for the past few days.

StrayRocket

--
StrayRocket
Old May 31st 08, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Haptenes[_2_]

Hi StrayRocket

Thank you very much for that fix. I have been trying very hard to solve
the problem for hours.

However, now that I done what you said I have a NEW kind of error :

Problem signatu
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: BF2142.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4513e406
Fault Module Name: BF2142.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4513e406
Exception Code: 80000003
Exception Offset: 000065a1
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1036
Additional Information 1: d99a
Additional Information 2: f21e897f42e72fd559b52308e34a563e
Additional Information 3: e25f
Additional Information 4: 0638a4421bec3098c834de2d09fa74b2

Now it's the BF2142.exe file itself that doesn't want to start. Man, I
wonder if I ever gonna be able to play BF2142 one day one my computer.

Can you pelase help me with this?

THank you

--
Haptenes