Getting Error Code 10 in Device Manager for my CD/DVD drive

Old March 14th 07, 07:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vampchick21

Default Getting Error Code 10 in Device Manager for my CD/DVD drive

Here's the situation.

We purchased a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium. After the
Daylight Savings time change, the CD/DVD driver developed an error code 10.
Some investigation, and I uninstalled it through Device Manager and then did
a recovery and everything was dandy.

Last night, it happened again. Code 10 and no recognizing the drive. Once
again I go through exactly the same motions. Nothing. Again. Nothing.
Again. Nothing.

What the heck do I do now? (I'm also suspecting that iTunes might be part
of the problem, as prior to both instances, I installed iTunes 7 on the
computer)
Old March 15th 07, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Worldand12Roses

I have been having the same problem. I am running under Vista Ultimate, and
have no problems once so ever with my dvd drive since building my computer a
few weeks ago, but now I am receiving the same code 10 error message. I tried
uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, but this leads to Vista telling me
that the driver can not be installed properly. I also tried installing an
entirely different dvd drive but had the same problem.

If anyone can figure this problem out it will be greatly appreciated.

Old March 15th 07, 09:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
joker

Hi,
Sorry, I do not have the answer, but the exact same problem and I also just
installed Itunes but I can not see why that should affect my CD/DVD drive.

I hope someone can help.

Old March 15th 07, 01:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
millie

I have had the same error code with the dvd drives and ITunes is also on the
computer.
What is also strange is that I have a 5 x card reader and now it is only
showing 1 of the card reader drives instead of 5 and that is without ITunes
program on.

Old March 15th 07, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vampchick21

It was iTunes. For some very strange reason in Vista, when you install
iTunes it messes with the CD/DVD driver. Apparently there is no offical
version of iTunes for Vista just yet, although based on my reading of the
discussion forums for iTunes, Apple & Microsoft are working on it. I suppose
we iPod users will just have to approach the gates with our pitchforks and
torches to demand a version that isn't going to kill off our CD/DVD
driver....lol
Old March 15th 07, 03:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jeremy Tay

My current Situation is as such:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and
to see if there is a solution available.

as you have said that iTunes might be affecting it but is there an instant
remedy for the current siuation? I got only one dvd/cd rom drive and i need
to use it urgently

Old March 16th 07, 03:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

I find it strange that this is all happening about the same time. I
just started getting the dreaded code 10 error message this afternoon.
It is also affecting my cdrom drive. I also noticed the that windows
burn cd selection has disappeared as well. My DVD work like it should,
but my cdrom will not start. I have Itunes installed, but have not
used it in a while. Let's hope someone get this one resolved soon.

Old March 16th 07, 01:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Worldand12Roses

Uninstalling iTunes will solve the problem.
Old March 19th 07, 01:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
joker

Hi,

I will try this and hopefully it works.

I just hope ITunes/Microsoft will be able to solve this quickly.

Thanks all for your help.

Old March 21st 07, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Hi All, Just wanted to confirm that ITunes is the problem. I did the
uninstall of ITuens and got my Cd Drive back and it is working as it
ought. Many Thanks for the suggestion and help.

On Mar 19, 9:00 am, Joker wrote:
Hi,

I will try this and hopefully it works.

I just hope ITunes/Microsoft will be able to solve this quickly.

Thanks all for your help.

"worldand12roses" wrote:
Uninstalling iTunes will solve the problem.- Hide quoted text -