Failed upgrade of XP Pro to Vista Business

Old March 15th 07, 02:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Guest

Default Failed upgrade of XP Pro to Vista Business

I tried to upgrade my XP Pro SP2 instance to Vista Business. The upgrade
failed due to the Realtek 97
Audio driver wasn't compatable with Vista which resulted in a Blue screen in
Vista on the 1st reboot.

Now, when I boot up XP I get a boot menu ( briefly ) that shows :

Earlier Version of Windows
Windows Setup

I have to quickly use the arrow keys to select the Earlier Version of
Windows in order to boot successfully in to XP Pro. If I
am not quick enough the PC tries to boot ino the Windows Setup (Vista) and
blue screens.

Where can I get rid of the Upgrade to Vista option? Below is the bootable
XP Pro boot.ini contents. Note the
reference to BCDedit.exe to modify vista boot options. Since there is not
yet a Vista instance I cannot locate
the BCDedit.exe file or use it's options ( referenced at MS site ) or
switches to alter it.

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT