RAID and defrag does not work

Old March 15th 07, 10:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

Default RAID and defrag does not work

I have recently ugraded XP to Vista Business. I have a RAID-1 with Silicon
Raid drivers. The computer works fine as it used to but I find that the Vista
defrag command in the C-drive properties box does not work, i.e. nothing
happens. I was wondering if defrag does not work because the 2 HDD drives are
set up as RAID-1, or if Vista has a problem? Has anyone done a defragment on
their hard drive under Vista yet?
Old March 15th 07, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DBRASCO

I have Vista Ultimate on a Raid 0 Volume and can defrag W/out a problem, but
I have an Intel raid system.

Old March 15th 07, 11:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

Ok.
So, then, has anyone with a RAID-1 setup done a defrag?

Old March 16th 07, 06:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

Actually, I can now answer some of my own question. The Defrag does not work
in Safe-mode. It will work in normal mode. In XP, I always used to do a
Defrag in Safe-mode to prevent constant re-starting of the defrag process.

Old March 16th 07, 02:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nut Cracker

yes, but not under VISTA ....

Is your NTFS cluster size larger than 4K ? if yes, you wont be able to use
the provided MS tools.

- NuTs

Old March 17th 07, 10:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David

Some further progress. I downloaded both Seagate's 'SeaTools' and Western
Digital's HDD test software. Could not get any of Seagate stuff to work.
Under Vista I just gt 'exception handler' error messages. Under DOS-boot it
could not even see the HDD's. The Western Digital Windows test worked. Did
not find any errors. I also noticed that the HDD S.M.A.R.T. option in my BIOS
was set to 'disbaled' which I have now changed. So far today, no HDD errors
reported by Vista. I still think Vista has its knickers in a knot about this.