Problem with iPAQ and Activesync (WMDC)

Old March 16th 07, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
J.L.Castañeda

Default Problem with iPAQ and Activesync (WMDC)

Hi all, my problem is as follows: I have recently upgraded my XP Pro to
Windows Vista Business Pro and the method used has been an upgrade instead of
a clean installation because I needed to preserve all my settings and files.
One of the problems encountered after the upgrade is that I am not able to
sync my PDA with the PC. After trying to find Activesync everywhere inside
the OS I finally relaised out that it was not present. I searched for it and
discovered that now it is called WMDC.
Well, I init WMDC and it asks for the type of conection used, I choose USB
and Bluetooth then the dialog box disappears and nothing else appears. WMDC
is not started in my OS.
I would apreciate any help from you, and thanks in advance.
Regards from Spain.
Old March 16th 07, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carlos

J.L. (José Luis?):
Are you following the right procedure for installing WMDC.
In this page http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...icecenter.mspx
There are specific instructions depicting a sequence to be followed.
I understand that you did not follow the sequence.
Your iPAQ must be connected prior to WMDC setup.
I quote the procedu
IMPORTANT: If you have a previous version of Windows Mobile Device Center
installed you will first need to uninstall it before installing the new
release.

To uninstall the Windows Mobile Device Center:
Open the Start menu
Click Control Panel
Click on “Uninstall or Change a Program”
Select “Windows Mobile Device Center” from the program list and click
“Uninstall”
Select “Windows Mobile Device Center Driver Update” from the program list
and click “Uninstall”

To Install the Windows Mobile Device Center on Windows Vista:
Read the system requirements listed below.
Connect your device to your PC.
Download the Windows Mobile Device Center Installer (9 MB) to your PC by
clicking on the download link.
Select Run this program from its current location and click OK.
Follow the instructions on the screen.

Regards.
Carlos

J.L:
Me parece que no has seguido el procedimiento o secuencia de instalación
recomendado por Microsoft.
Primero tienes que conectar tu iPAQ y luego comenzar con la instalación del
WMDC.
As* es como lo hice yo y tengo mi iPAQ4150 funcionando correctamente.
Atte.
Carlos (de Argentina)

Old March 17th 07, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
J.L.Castañeda

Hi Carlos, I followed strictely all the steps written in the download web
page. The problem is that the Windows Mobile Device Center detects the pda
and for example I can sync my music files with windows media 11, the problem
becomes when I try to sync my outlook 2003 agenda, mails, etc. It crashes and
it is not able to finish the sync procedure.
I suposse that the problem must be something related with the OS of the PDA,
it has WM2003SE and maybe it is out of date, because I have read somewhere
that WMDC works better with newer versions of Windows Mobile.
Thanks a lot for the help. I will follow the steps again, and if it works, I
will maintain informed the community, otherwise I will do the same.