Xfi Soundcard

Old March 21st 07, 04:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
chris p.

Default Xfi Soundcard

Hello,
I switched from XP Pro to Vista 64 Home Premium. The problem I have now, my
Xfi soundcard wasn't found during vista installation and a check for new
hardware shows me, that there is no new hardware, so I cannot install the
drivers. What can I do? Does anyone have an idea what to do?
Old March 21st 07, 04:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

chris p. wrote:
Hello,
I switched from XP Pro to Vista 64 Home Premium. The problem I have
now, my Xfi soundcard wasn't found during vista installation and a
check for new hardware shows me, that there is no new hardware, so I
cannot install the drivers. What can I do? Does anyone have an idea
what to do?

According to the Creative website and this is usually the case for
installation of creative drivers, you download the file, then double click
the file and follow the instructions on screen. This begins the
installation routine and usually it finds the card even if the OS didn't.
--
Michael Solomon

Old March 21st 07, 04:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
chris p.

but this is exactly the problem I have, installation of the creative drivers
failed with the notice: no hardware found - installation abort
Normally I'm very firm with windows hardware and installation - but this
time ...

Old March 21st 07, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

"Michael Solomon" wrote:

chris p. wrote:
Hello,
I switched from XP Pro to Vista 64 Home Premium. The problem I have
now, my Xfi soundcard wasn't found during vista installation and a
check for new hardware shows me, that there is no new hardware, so I
cannot install the drivers. What can I do? Does anyone have an idea
what to do?

According to the Creative website and this is usually the case for
installation of creative drivers, you download the file, then double
click the file and follow the instructions on screen. This begins
the installation routine and usually it finds the card even if the
OS didn't. --
Michael Solomon

You don't say which XFI card you have so I couldn't check to see if creative
has even released Vista compatible drivers for your specific card and that
may be the issue. Have you checked the creative site to be sure you have
the latest drivers compatible with Vista 64bit. If these are the latest
drivers, I'd contact Creative or check the Creative forums for help with
this issue. For access to the Creative forums, go to www.creative.com,
click support, click Knowledge Base, navigate to the appropriate geographic
location and in the column on the left of the page to which it takes you,
click "Discussion Forums."
--
Michael Solomon

Old March 21st 07, 06:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
chris p.

i have the latest drivers from creative website, esp the 64bit ones, the xfi
extreme music card doesn't appear in the device manager, although it works
fine in my xp-pro os. It seems that vista didn't recognize the card during
setup (the same goes for my sat-tv card). Both driver setups abort with
similar error message (no hardware installed!). I have a new asus-board
A8V-X, 2Gb RAM, Geforce 7600GS and with os xp prof I have no problems with
these cards.
I'm not sure what to do further more (I reinstalled the cards from pci
socket, plugged it in again-hoping vista will find new hardware after
starting-but nothing happens).
Vista without sound makes no fun. Onboard sound I can only use with headphone.
Do you think a reinstall of vista would help things work out better?

Old March 21st 07, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ludwig

http://ask.americas.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=ww_english_add,U={B8F60310-DA4F-11D3-94F4-00500463020E},Company={CEAE216D-8719-4C00-AC9F-03BC258F7B70},d=1130251443648,VARSET=ws:http://us.creative.com,case=14186

Copy and paste for security.

Old March 21st 07, 06:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

chris p. wrote:
i have the latest drivers from creative website, esp the 64bit ones,
the xfi extreme music card doesn't appear in the device manager,
although it works fine in my xp-pro os. It seems that vista didn't
recognize the card during setup (the same goes for my sat-tv card).
Both driver setups abort with similar error message (no hardware
installed!). I have a new asus-board A8V-X, 2Gb RAM, Geforce 7600GS
and with os xp prof I have no problems with these cards.
I'm not sure what to do further more (I reinstalled the cards from pci
socket, plugged it in again-hoping vista will find new hardware after
starting-but nothing happens).
Vista without sound makes no fun. Onboard sound I can only use with
headphone. Do you think a reinstall of vista would help things work
out better?

I don't think reinstalling Vista will help. It's not unusual for an OS not
to recognize some hardware device during install. I have an Audigy 2 Value
card that wasn't seen in XP and isn't seen in Vista until I install the
drivers. The fact the cards you mentioned work with XP Professional is
pretty much irrelevant and I don't mean that to be critical of you. A lot
of people read these boards and they all need to understand that new
operating systems are more than just window dressing. New features,
architecures and code have a ripple effect throughout the system that has an
enormous effect on what is backward compatible.

There was a major change to the sound subsystem in Vista and a great many
soundcards, including newer cards didn't achieve compatiblity, even at a
minimal or basic level until shortly before Vista was released and it's
going to take some time before the manufacturer's get all the bugs and knks
worked out. Even cards listed as having Vista compatible drivers as you are
finding out are still having problems.

I would take this to the Creative forums as I mentioned earlier because
while these drivers are listed as basic drivers, they are supposedly no
longer beta and Creative needs to know there are still some issues with
their drivers.

Again, I want to reiterate, it is not unusual for an OS not to recognize
some hardware upon OS installation until the drivers for that device are
installed. Clearly there are still some issues with the drivers for your
soundcard and if you are having this issue with your graphics card, I'd
assume there same there as well.

--
Michael Solomon

Old March 22nd 07, 12:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Not a Vista Fan

sb support said to install card with old drivers then update to new drivers.
I know it isnt found by os but original installer software should install
drivers anyway.
if this doesnot work, try "clean uninstall".
the clean way is shown on their web site, but it is a pain. I have sound
for my games but no aux or cd in functionality. sb support says Vista
problem not sb prob.
Good Luck

Old March 23rd 07, 12:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
chris p.

I tried all mentioned suggestions, but it seems to be useless.
So I have to wait till there are better drivers for these cards available.
It's not a big problem for me because I'm still running XP on my system and
so I take the chance to learn vista step by step. I only had the hope that
there will be someone else with the same specific problem who could help me.
By the way: life goes on and one day there will be a solution.
Thank you for your help

Chris P.

Old March 25th 07, 07:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ludwig

C. Not all Windows Vista features will be available for use on all Windows
Vista Capable PCs. All Windows Vista Capable PCs upgraded to Windows Vista
will be able to run the core experiences of Windows Vista, such as
innovations in organizing and finding information, security, and
reliability. Some features-such as the new Windows Aero user
interface-available in certain editions of Windows Vista require advanced or
additional hardware.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...footnotes.mspx

news