HD upgrade

Old March 23rd 07, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bertrand Collet

Default HD upgrade

Dear all,

Sorry to post again on this subject but I did not manage to upgrade my
system (new HD).

I'd like to replace my (slow) SATAI HD by a new (larger & faster) SATAII HD.
I am running Vista 64bit ultimate and I would like to avoid having to
re-install OS, software if possible.
I tried to clone the old SATAI onto the new SATAII HD using Acronis True
Image 10.0 with no success (no boot possible on the new HD) and I wonder it
the problem is due to 1) other hard disk I have (not SATA but I have one HD
on IDE-master with one CDRW on IDE-slave) 2) a card reader that appear as HD
on the desktop.

Could you let me know if the following would work or if I should prepare
myself to re-install the OS + all soft ...

1) I disconnect everything (CDRW/HD included) except the old HD and new HD.
2) reboot and clone with Acronis old HD onto new HD
3) disconnect old HD
4) reboot on new HD
5) if ok, reconnect other drives + card reader.

Thanks to share experience,

Bertrand

Old March 23rd 07, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
andy

Are you sure that the BIOS is set to boot from the correct hard disk?

Old March 23rd 07, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
pete

What you describe worked for me yesterday..but there is no need to onhook
the CD just the other HD.........but if you boot with the new SATA2 HD and
it does not work restart system with the Vista CD and do a "repair".This
will "study" the problem and chances are it will come up with a "boot"
repair.I needed to do that because I was dual booting but Cloned the Vista
HD to an External HD which did not take the MBR ,which resided on another HD
,with it.
With it being the only HD on the system you just need to be sure that SATA
is enabled in the BIOS.
peter

"Bertrand Collet" wrote in
message ...