Why doesn't Windows recognise my DVD burner?

Old March 26th 07, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ben

Default Why doesn't Windows recognise my DVD burner?

That's exactly the problem - I think it's being recognised as a reader and
not a read/writer. It's listed in Device Manager as "LITE-ON DVDRW
SHM-165P6S SCSI CdRom Device"

Ben

"Michael Solomon" wrote in message
Ben wrote:
Thanks for your reply, but there is no Recording menu on that drive. :-(
Ben

Maybe your drive isn't being recognized as a recordable drive. Have you
checked it's properties as well as how it appears in Device Manager?
--
Michael Solomon

Old March 26th 07, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

Ben wrote:
That's exactly the problem - I think it's being recognised as a
reader and not a read/writer. It's listed in Device Manager as
"LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S SCSI CdRom Device"

Ben

I apologize, Ben, I should have read your original post a little closer. Is
this, in fact, a SCSI device? Have you checked with Lite-ON for updates
that might help get this device recognized by Vista. BigJim, in the second
post in this thread actually diagnosed the issue. If it's not a SCSI device
but it is being recognized as such, perhaps a firmware update would resolve
the issue but that still would have to come from Lite-ON. Even then, you
still might need additional drivers for your specific device; I'd check with
Lite-ON.

--
Michael Solomon

Old March 27th 07, 07:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ben

Michael,

Yes, I suspect it is just a case of a missing driver. I was hoping that I
had failed to to something obvious, and hence posted this thread.

The device isn't SCSI, it's a conventional ATA/IDE device that is connected
through the JMicron JMB36X controller of the Abit AB9 Pro motherboard.
Since that host can take IDE and SATA devices, perhaps that's the reason the
optical device is picked up as SCSI. If I recall correctly, storage devices
on PCI controller cards sometimes show up as SCSI even if they're not (?),
so perhaps this is the same.

FYI: I've also tried attaching the drive via USB2 (with an IDE-USB
converter) with exactly the same results.

The device itself is using the current firmware available from Liteon's
website although I've not yet contacted them about Vista support.

cheers,

Old March 27th 07, 10:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
koze

You have to use the latest drivers for the MB and Chipset to let Vista see
the device correct, best was if there where real Vista drivers:
http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/dr...es=1&model=323

Ko.

"Ben" schreef in bericht

Old March 27th 07, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ben

Hi Ko,

Thanks, but I'm running the current Intel and JMicron drivers from that page
but they don't enable the writing features of the device in Windows or
Windows apps.

Maybe up-to-date drivers will come along in the future...?

cheers,
Ben

Old March 27th 07, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

Ben wrote:
That's exactly the problem - I think it's being recognised as a
reader and not a read/writer. It's listed in Device Manager as
"LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S SCSI CdRom Device"

Ben

I apologize, Ben, I should have read your original post a little
closer. Is this, in fact, a SCSI device? Have you checked with
Lite-ON for updates that might help get this device recognized by
Vista. BigJim, in the second post in this thread actually diagnosed
the issue. If it's not a SCSI device but it is being recognized as
such, perhaps a firmware update would resolve the issue but that
still would have to come from Lite-ON. Even then, you still might
need additional drivers for your specific device; I'd check with
Lite-ON. --
Michael Solomon

I note you have driver updates, have you checked for BIOS updates that might
address this issue.

Yes, sometimes some Non-SCSI devices are picked up as SCSI, I'm not sure
that is the issue though. you might want to contact Lite-On tech support
and see if they might have a solution to this issue.

--
Michael Solomon

Old March 27th 07, 07:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
koze

Hi Ben,

I'm afraid you have to ask the people from Abit, but my hope's are not that
high.
Maybe the mfgr from the chipset?

I would suggest to take a look at the Intel site if they do have update inf
files for the chipset, helped in a other case.

And file a support question at the Abit site for drivers, if all do it may
work, or help them to start working on it.

Ko.

"Ben" schreef in bericht

Old March 27th 07, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ben

I contacted Lite-On. They replied that the version of Nero supplied with
that drive isn't Vista compatible (mine was OEM anyway) so I should use a
newer version of Nero. They evaded answering the question of Vista's
support for the hardware itself.

Old March 28th 07, 12:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

Ben wrote:
I contacted Lite-On. They replied that the version of Nero supplied
with that drive isn't Vista compatible (mine was OEM anyway) so I
should use a newer version of Nero. They evaded answering the
question of Vista's support for the hardware itself.

LOLWell, it's not a total loss then. The implicatin at least is that it
will work with latest version of Nero in Vista. I'm sure we'll hear from
you if it doesn't and yeah, I'd be ****ed too!VBG
--
Michael Solomon