Why doesn't Windows recognise my DVD burner?

Old May 16th 07, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ColinJ

Default Why doesn't Windows recognise my DVD burner?

I suspect that this is a much wider problem! I have also had the same
problems with Vista Ultimate. I have an MSI P965 Platinum motherboard with
the JMicron controller in a brand-new hiline system. The boot SATA HDD and
two PATA Pioneer DVD-RW drives were connected to the JMicron controller and
the other (raid 5) drives to the Intel ICHR8 controller. I had to fish
around to download the JMicron driver from MSI to get the system going but
everything seemed OK till I tried to burn a DVD in VideoStudio - no DVD
drives showed up! They were listed as the ubiquitous "SCSI Cd-rom" drives.
I could burn DVDs to them with Nero fine but not any Ulead products. So I
tried MS DVDMaker and same problem! I searched for updated JMicron drivers,
installed them and succeeded in crashing the system (twice) because it
removed the driver from booting. There are lots of threads all over the
internet on these issues - the common thread seems to be the JMicron
controller no matter what the motherboard. In desperation I bought new
Pioneer SATA DVD drives and shifted ALL HDDs and DVDs to the Intel ICHR8
controller, disabled the JMicron controller and suddenly everything came
good. The DVD-RWs are now recognised as such by Device Manager and all
programs. It would seem to me that the JMicron controller or its drivers
have some bugs that have not yet been addressed. Hope this helps others with
a similar problem and relieves some of the frustration.

"Don" wrote:

Ben wrote:
Resolved! FYI I uninstalled the JMB363 device and allowed Windows to
find drivers online...

Hi Ben. I'm glad you fixed it, but I'm curious where the 'wrong'
drivers came from in the first place. Were they leftovers from a
prior XP, maybe?

Old May 16th 07, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ColinJ

Just as a little extra to my last post, changing the same bootup HDD to the
Intel controller and changing to 2 x SATA DVD-RWs instead of the PATA ones
caused Vista to de-activate my legitimate copy of Ultimate and I had to
explain at length to Microsoft what had happened to get my licenced
activation back. Got the impression that they didn't believe me! Thank you
Mr Gates for being so generous with my GENUINE copy of Vista when the
problems were fundamental issues of compatibility in a new operating system.

Old December 9th 07, 10:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
robert de nerdo

THIS FIXED MY IDENTICAL PROBLEM

Hi

Just writing to confirm I had the same problem and the solution was to
download and run the updated jmicron drivers from:

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/Win2k_xp_Vista/

that's the short of it.

The long of it In a little more detail

I experienced the very same problem. I had an ide dvd writer that would
write with Nero and yet did not exist as far a windows dvd maker was
concerned. It too was listed as an SCSI cd rom and only had four tabs
on offer under properties. I found what was need was a driver update
which you can get from this site.

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/Win2k_xp_Vista/

I have gigbyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard. I didn't realise that I had the
offending JMB363 chip anywhere in my computer as there is nothing in the
motherboard manual about it. So, First I went to gigabyte site and
downloaded anything that looked as if it was an update, but no luck. I
knew from the motherboard manual that I had the intel p35 express and
ich9r chip so I went to intel and downloaded the latest drivers from
there. still no luck. At this point I had already figure to hell with it
I'm buying a sata dvd drive. When I was looking at the motherboard
review on hardwaresecrets.com (FYI A VERY GOOD SITE for beginngers like
myself) I found out I did have the offending jmicron device after all -
disguised a gigabyte sata contoller. well I dowloaded the file found the
application within the file and ran it. Now the drive works as it
should; windows dvd maker recognises the drive; and I'm wondering why I
bothered because it ain't that great an application in the the first
place ( but it is neccessary if you choose to use windows media center
tele recorder instead of something sensible like sagetv). So if you're
new to this computer building, as I am, if your problem reads identical
to the everyone elses chances are you have the JMB363 chip rebranded in
such a way as to make you think the mother board manufacturer made the
chip themselves. Chances are jmicro did and chances are you need the
update.

Hope this helps.

--
robert de nerdo