McAfee and Windows Live Mail 8.1

Old March 23rd 07, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Amrykid

Default McAfee and Windows Live Mail 8.1

I have McAfee (lastest version) and I wanted to have It scan emails from
WLMail 8.1. Does anyone know how to do it?

Old March 25th 07, 11:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Amrykid" wrote in message
I have McAfee (lastest version) and I wanted to have It scan emails from
WLMail 8.1. Does anyone know how to do it?

Don't ever scan email with any anti-virus. It is redundant and causes
problems.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old March 25th 07, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Feliks Dzerzhinsky

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM wrote:
"Amrykid" wrote in message
I have McAfee (lastest version) and I wanted to have It scan emails
from WLMail 8.1. Does anyone know how to do it?

Don't ever scan email with any anti-virus. It is redundant and causes
problems.

Ah, now that is the Microsoft we all know and love. The best way to
deal with a threat is to deny it access to what it threatens. Anything
less, risks that threat taking its intended action. I don't want to
wait to have email checked until I open the email. That is not acceptable.

Doesn't anyone in Redmond take security seriously?

--
Iron Feliks
Old March 25th 07, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Amrykid" wrote in message
I have McAfee (lastest version) and I wanted to have It scan emails
from WLMail 8.1. Does anyone know how to do it?

Don't ever scan email with any anti-virus. It is redundant and causes
problems.

Ah, now that is the Microsoft we all know and love. The best way to
deal with a threat is to deny it access to what it threatens. Anything
less, risks that threat taking its intended action. I don't want to
wait to have email checked until I open the email. That is not
acceptable.

Doesn't anyone in Redmond take security seriously?

The anti-virus running in its normal resident mode without email scanning
still scans every file you try to open or save. What it does not do is
interpose the proxy responsible for screwing up email.

I don't work for Microsoft.

Old March 26th 07, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Rock

"Amrykid" wrote in message
I have McAfee (lastest version) and I wanted to have It scan emails
from WLMail 8.1. Does anyone know how to do it?

Don't ever scan email with any anti-virus. It is redundant and causes
problems.

Ah, now that is the Microsoft we all know and love. The best way to
deal with a threat is to deny it access to what it threatens. Anything
less, risks that threat taking its intended action. I don't want to
wait to have email checked until I open the email. That is not
acceptable.

Doesn't anyone in Redmond take security seriously?

Even the AV folks say there is no need to scan email.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Old March 26th 07, 02:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Feliks Dzerzhinsky

Peter Foldes wrote:
And of course you know what you are talking about.
Removing the email scanning option is the best thing
that you can do to avoid future problems with the email client.
Stopping\Disabling the email scanning option does NOT leave your
email client unprotected. It is only a layer on top of the actual scan.
Your AV without email scanning will still work and keep protecting as

it should.

Relying on the last line of defense is fine, only as long as it works.

We have always scanned incoming email and have had no problems. We've
never had a machine infected by a virus and aim to keep it that way.

--
Iron Feliks
Old April 2nd 07, 03:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Guest

"Feliks Dzerzhinsky" wrote in message
Relying on the last line of defense is fine, only as long as it works.

Replicating the last line of defence is fine, only as long as it works.

If your virus scanner for email is the same as your active virus scanner,
there's no point in doing the same scan twice.

We have always scanned incoming email and have had no problems. We've
never had a machine infected by a virus and aim to keep it that way.

Sure, scan your incoming email - at the mail server, and with a different
virus scanner. That's a great option, if you're a corporation with a
centralised email server and processing resources to spare on scanning
there.

Don't scan your incoming email at the mail client using the same virus
scanner that runs whenever you open a file.

That's just a waste of processor and disk time, and contributes to any
number of problems with duplicated mail, hung sessions, etc.

Alun.
~~~~
--
Texas Imperial Software | Web: http://www.wftpd.com/