Upgrading for better overall performance

Old March 23rd 07, 02:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Lang Murphy

Default Upgrading for better overall performance

Drew wrote:
I thought maybe some one here can help..First off Vista works great for
my games and actually I have not had any problems with it at all but I
want to improve things so,,,
Currently running Vista Business on a
AMD socket 939 motherboard with a AMD 3200+ 2000 processor
2 gigs of ddr500 Crucial Ballistix tracer ram
Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
A PNY Geforce7900gs 256 video card
Creative soundblaster x-fi extreme gamer card for an overall score of 4.1

Going to upgrade to an Intel core duo 2.16 gig processor on
The Intel D975XBX2 motherboard
4gigs of DDR2 800 Ballistix tracer ram
Twin 160gig hdds in a raid0 format
Pny 7900gs vid card at least until Ati brings out their DX10 card so I i
can use the crossfire capability on this board

My question would be how much difference will I see in overall speed and
performance ????
Thanks as always for any input

Not for nothing... but if your present gig runs fine, then why change
things? You don't say if you're running x86 or x64, but my SWAG would be
that you might not see that much improvement. If you're running x86,
you're definitely not going to see all 4GB's of RAM.

Of course, getting new hw at cost is something very few of us could pass
by... ;-)

Lang

Old March 24th 07, 01:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mike Hall - MS MVP

Overall speed and performance while doing what exactly? do you have anything
specific in mind?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Old March 24th 07, 01:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Drew

More or less the future it seems that with each release of windows it
requires more power to get the same speed and also to include higher end
gaming...The bottom line is I got my boss a good deal on replacement of the
computers at work so in appreciation the particular computer shop is giving
me all this new stuff at or below their cost

Old March 24th 07, 02:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mike Hall - MS MVP

If you can afford it, then do it, but as with any computer, today's top of
the line is tomorrows budget range..

news

Old March 24th 07, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Drew

I guess more than anything I need to know how much difference I would see in
Speed...Would programs open faster?? ..Would games run faster??...The only
problem I have now is that when using windows live messenger in a voice
conversation and trying to surf the web at the same time my CPU is pegged
according to the sidebar gadget and conversations break up badly...Running
dsl with a 6mg download speed

Old March 25th 07, 09:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Drew

By "BX" you mean btx My case (Thermaltake Armor) supports both and in this
case The Intel D975XBX2 is a atx motherboard