Old August 13th 07, 09:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Mikeyboards[_2_]

Default HP All-in-one printers disappearing when there are changes in the network status

I kept having disappearing printer problems even after downloading and
installing the Vista drivers, etc. The only thing that sort of solved
the problem, while replacing it with a different annoyance, was
directly connecting my HP6150 to my Vista computer via USB cable. Note
that I still have the printer connected to the network via wireless
router, so this Vista computer is connected in two ways to the printer,
via USB and via the router/ethernet cable. (Is that legal?!)

Now instead of disappearing printers in my printers folder, I have one
or two extra copies of the printer. (If I get rid of one, it just
reinstalls itself. So I leave them all alone.) I just make sure the
one I have marked as the default printer stays marked as the default
printer, and that my preferred settings are designated there (such as
default print quality, etc.).

I don't know if this will help in other people's situation, if there is
more than one Vista computer attached to the network and using that
printer. I happen to have only an XP laptop attached to the network,
(besides the Vista computer that's now linked to the printer in two
ways). So I'm not sure if someone else would find the printer still
disappearing on a Vista computer that's not connected by usb to the
printer but is on the network.

With the problems this HP product has caused me, I'm quite unlikely to
ever purchase an HP again.

Mike E

--
Mikeyboards