Old August 18th 07, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Bruce Chambers

Default How to uninstall Symantic Antivirus Software?

Neil wrote:
Before you answer, here is the problem. I just upgraded my XP Pro to Vista
Home Premium. I was running Symantic Antivirus Corporation version 10.1
unknowingly that it was not compatible with Vista. Now, I want to install
10.2 which is compatible but the program will not install. It get a message
saying that this version software isn't compatible with Vista which must be
wrong. I tried uninstalling the version 10.1 first and it will not do it. I
get the same message. I did go thru my control panel if you are wondering.
Please help.

It's almost always a bad idea to perform any sort OS upgrade with any
anti-virus application in place, but even more so when the AV
application is widely known to be incompatible with the new OS. You
will have to perform a brute force, manual removal of the older Symantec
version. (The alternative would be to format the hard drive and start
over.) These instructions were written with older versions of SAVCE in
mind, and for older operating systems, but should provide you with
sufficient guidance to successfully remove all traces of of the obsolete
SAVCE and allow the newer version to be installed.

How to manually uninstall Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.x
Client on Windows NT/2000/XP
http://entkb.symantec.com/security/o...213583048.html

--

Bruce Chambers