Tearing my hair out over BIOS...of all things

Old March 27th 07, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aaron @ Paradoxsys

Default Tearing my hair out over BIOS...of all things

Hi,

I have Windows Vista Ultimate x64 edition installed on my home machine -
I've just upgraded the processor from an AMD Atholon 64 3200+ to an AMD
Atholon x2 64 4400+ for Vista. My motherboard isn't recognizing the new
processor (showing up as AMD Hammer Family Processor - model unknown), which
is due to an outdated BIOS version. I'm trying to flash the BIOS and having
significant difficulty - don't know if it's Vista or my own inexperience
that's causing the issue.

Basically, I can't boot from a boot floppy, because the comptuer doesn't
have a floppy drive. I've tried booting from the Vista disc, but it runs a
mini-windows kernel which doesn't support the (16 bit) bios update program.
Also tried the WinXP disc....it prompts for an administrator password....I
know the pwd but it tells me it's invalid.

WinFlash doesn't work under Vista x64.......
Manufacturer doesn't offer a BIOS utility.......

Any ideas?
Old March 27th 07, 11:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carlos

Aaron:
The easiest solution would be to borrow, or purchase, an inexpensive floppy
and hook it up for flashing.
You can build a bootdisk of your choice by going he
www.bootdisk.com
Good luck.
Carlos
P.S.: You might also try booting from a bootable USB pen drive with winflash
and bios rom included but that is something I have never done and don't know
how to guide you.

Old March 27th 07, 11:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

You can make a boot CD and put your BIOS information on another CD. Boot
from the first one and then put the one with the BIOS in and run your
updates. A lot of PC's don't have floppies (I only have one machine with
one in my house, and use it for support of older PC's). Flash drives are
so much more convenient, faster, holds more...

http://www.bootdisk.com

--
Dustin Harper

Old March 29th 07, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Aaron @ Paradoxsys

Thanks, All.

bootdisk.com worked. Specifically
http://www.bootdisk.com/mexico/flashcd.zip for the download, and
http://www.bootdisk.com/txtfiles/flashcd.txt for the step-by-step
instructions.

Many thanks, from my computer, my hair, and me.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Scroll down to bootable CD.

--