Old August 20th 07, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
drob

Default Low Disk Space in Recovery "D" Vista OS

I don't know much about this stuff but I do agree with AJR that Recovery D
should not be touched. On my Dell that I have now and on my HP and Compaq
that I had in the past, Recovery D came with the computer and you don't add
or change anything on it, you just use it to restore your system.
My question though, I have seen others post messages about thier D
Recovery drive being filled to capacity. But how does it get filled anyway?
Are people installing things into the D recovery drive? I have never had the
size of mine change on me. It is 9.99 GB with 6.14 Gb free. So I was just
wondering, why people have that happen, am I supposed to be putting back up
things in there or something? Have I not been using this right all these
years? Like I said, i really don't know much about this stuff, so I am
asking. Thanks

"AJR" wrote:

Hold on a minute Mart. By "...recovery "D". Recovery..." are you
referring to a "Restore (Recovery) Partition" - did it come with the
computer and is (D) labelled as such?

Most OEMs (equipment manufacturers) include a restore/recovery partition on
the computer. This partition contains "everything" on the computer at the
time it was manufactured and is used to restore the computer to it's
original state- in some instances a CD/DVD is also provided. Recovery is by
booting from a CD or "Hit the F11 key...." message at boot.
Some OEMs make the partition hidden and/or inaccessible to protect it.

Documentation you received should explain your opriton regarding the
partition - some OEMs fprovide a utility to copy the partition contents to
CD/DVD and a means to "recoup' the space.

If it is an actual restore/recovery partition you should not utilize it in
any way (copy data, install stuff, etc.).

"Mart" wrote in message
My computer alerts me that I have low disk space in recovery "D".
Recovery
shows 1% of disk space left. How to I correct this. This is my first
post
and I'm a beginner at this.