Old August 22nd 07, 01:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MartinU

Default USB device appears locked

I've seen this today on a customer's PC. All hardware devices except C: and
network drives are locked :-( The customer first noticed that the CD drive
was locked (red no-entry sign and "Device locked" popup from system tray),
but we then found that it also affected his Compact Flash drive and my USB
pen drive.

He thinks the problem started when he attempted to install an incompatible
version of AutoCad which aborted the installation part-way through. There's
no sign in Control

There's nothing in the knowledge bases for Microsoft, AutoCad or the PC
vendor (Acer) - searching for "device locked".

In the case of the CD, the "Computer" application can see the disc's volume
label and the amount of used/free space, but cannot access the contents of
the disc. Command Prompt gives "access denied".

In Safe Mode, the CD works fine.

"AG" wrote:

Thanks for the advice Freddy. Switched on the machine this morning and the
problem was gone. Weird as I changed nothing (apart from installed a vista
update about gregorian calendar) and the system was on and off several times
when I had the problem. I'm pretty sure it wasn't being used by another
programme as I could still eject the drive. As for the other options, I guess
(hope) I'll never know.

Thanks anyway, sorry you took so much time when the problem went away all by
itself.

AG

"freddy" wrote:

AG,

I don't specifically know how to unlock the devices, but I can offer some
ideas of how to troubleshoot the issue.

When you press the Eject button on the DVD drive, do you get a message that
says this device is in use by another program?

If you do, then identify what program or programs use the drive, such as a
burning program. It's possible that such a program has a bug that doesn't
release the drive after it's finished with it. I've heard of instances of
where Nero does this.

Check Task Manager (right click task bar and select Task Manager) to check
on what is running that could be using the drive. Shut it down if you spot
such a user.

Check Vista error reports for indications of other problems that could cause
such behavior. Click on Start All Programs Maintenance Problem Reports
and Solutions. Peruse the report for problems and recommended solutions.

I've heard of cases where a virus, or some malware, can also enable this
type of behavior (locking one out with red circle with line through it).
Great fun for the author of the malware. Scan your system for this
possibility.

That's all I have for now. Post back on how you do.
--
freddy

"AG" wrote:

I suddenly seem to have my USB storage devices locked on my laptop. The
thumbdrive is accessible on other machines with XP but my vista laptop says
the device is locked. It appears in 'my computer' with a red ring and line
through it as does the DVD drive. How can I unlock them? Very frustrating.