Old October 26th 06, 06:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Billmc

Default RC1 & SoundMax -- funky results (USUALLY no sound)

windows sounds ok, sounds from cd's ok, sounds from dvd's in either windows
media player or media centre = none of, popping etc, i have power dvd 6, only
it's not compatible with vista rc1. i've heard from power dvd that there
isn't yet power dvd which is compatible with vista, um where did you get
yours or how did you manage to install yours even!

"SilvrDragn" wrote:

Good news:
I went searching around and heard that this dvd sound playback problem was
resolved with rc2.

Bad News:
Rc2 download has been closed. I hope there's another way to fix this problem.

"SilvrDragn" wrote:

I am having a similar problem too. I am running vista rc1 5600 on an intel
board D865Perl which also came with soundmax for the onboard soundcard. MP3
and video files works fine but there's no sound when i play dvds with media
player. DVD audio works fine with powerdvd software though.

" wrote:

Warning: this has been cross-posted in the music_pictures_video group, too

"clean" install (let old WinXP2 go to Windows.old, no dual boot) on a "white
box" which had WinXP previously (overall performance evaluation of the
system is a pedestrian 2.5) -- used to have audio, no problem -- now
generally, no audio -- very funky -- Device Manager reports no problems or
conflicts (SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio) -- but don't get sound, for
the most part -- sometimes (can't trace when), will get startup, shutdown,
etc system sounds -- even a few times (can't tell what I did differently),
get sound with Media Player (playing audio or video) -- thought that I
somehow had fixed the problem -- currently, I get no sounds whatsoever (no,
connections are NOT loose! volume is set fine, not muting)

click speaker icon in SysTray and Volume Mixer shows all sliders nearly full
volume, and right click the speaker icon in SysTray and get Sound popup --
Playback tab shows Speakers/SoundMax green checkmark for "working" -- if I
initially click the "Sounds" tab and try to test the system sounds, nothing

however, if I first click configure button and test button(stereo) and get
sound from each speaker correctly) -- continue to the next window, and
again, can get sound (BTW, relatively cheap Altec/Lansing speakers with a
subwoofer) correctly -- NOW I go back to sounds and I DO hear the system
sounds -- but that STILL doesn't get me audio from Media Player -- oh, and I
also tried loading RealPlayer (free version), but no joy there, either!
(wanted to eliminate possibility of Media Player being the culprit)

I think if I were to shutdown now, I would get the Windows exit march OK;
but on a bootup, would not get the Windows entrance march

I'm at a loss here. Don't know what I did to (ONCE!) get sounds properly --
but now can't seem to repeat the actions which temporarily got Media Player
to give sound AND get correct system sounds.

SUGGESTIONS?? (oh, I'm NOT a games player, so suggesting that I upgrade to a
separate sound card with better speakers, is a non-starter -- just want
sound to work as expected, I'm not looking for concert quality!!)