"Access Denied" Error Installing Shared Printer *FIX*

Old March 29th 07, 05:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Agent Smith

Default "Access Denied" Error Installing Shared Printer *FIX*

So are you getting "Access Denied" error when trying to install a network
and/or shared printer? Well here is a solution I have been using and it works
every time.

SYMPTOMS
When you try and use the "Add a Printer" wizard on Vista to install a
printer shared from a Windows XP machine you may receive an "Access Denied"
error. However you may be able to successfully access file shares on the XP
machine. The root cause is unknown but I (and other Microsoft MVPs) suspect a
permissions issue between XP and Vista.

RESOLUTION
Add the printer using the following steps:

1.) Verify that File and print sharing is turned on and properly configured
on the XP machine.
2.) Locate and notate the Win XP computer name (i.e. "Desktop") (Found in
System Properties in the Computer Name tab)
3.) Locate and notate the printer share name on the XP computer (i.e.
"Printer") (Found under the Sharing tab on the Printer Properties page)
4.) On the Vista machine launch the "Add a Printer" wizard
5.) Choose "Add a local printer"
6.) Select "Create a new port" radio button and choose "Local Port" from the
drop down menu
7.) Press Next
8.) In the "Enter Port Name:" box enter the following: \\Desktop\Printer
where "Desktop" = the computer name from step 2 and "Printer" = the printer
share name from step 3.
9.) Select the Printer driver from the list provided or use the "Have Disk"
button to install the correct Vista driver if it is not in the built-in list.
It is critical that the driver you use is Vista compatible.
10.) Press next
11.) Give the printer a distinct name and choose whether to set as the
default.
12.) Press Next
13.) Print a test page to verify functionality.
14.) Press Finish
15.) Enjoy network printing !!