Help on installing Certificates in Vista IE7

Old March 29th 07, 03:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Chris Peikert

Default Help on installing Certificates in Vista IE7

Our mail server requires a certificate to be installed in order to access
the mail through the web. When I pull up the address it ask if I want to
continue to the site. I say yes. Then it flashes red at the top and shows
the word CERTIFICATE in red. I click on it and click VIEW but it doesnt give
me the option to install it.

I then put the website in the Trusted Domains group under the Security Tab
of IE7. I went back to the site and it would allow me to install the
certificate now. However each time I go back to the website it still acts
like no certificate was installed.

How do I install certificates so they will actually take affect and stay?

Old March 29th 07, 06:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

Our mail server requires a certificate to be installed in order to access
the mail through the web. When I pull up the address it ask if I want to
continue to the site. I say yes. Then it flashes red at the top and shows
the word CERTIFICATE in red. I click on it and click VIEW but it doesnt give
me the option to install it.

In order to install certificates using IE 7 on Vista you must run IE with
Protected Mode off. The easiest way to do that is to elevate IE. Right-click
the Internet Explorer icon and select Run as administrator... Then navigate
to the site and open the cert they way you did before. Now the option to
install the cert is enabled.

---

Old April 1st 07, 03:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Guest

"Jesper" wrote in message
Our mail server requires a certificate to be installed in order to access
the mail through the web. When I pull up the address it ask if I want to
continue to the site. I say yes. Then it flashes red at the top and shows
the word CERTIFICATE in red. I click on it and click VIEW but it doesnt
give
me the option to install it.

In order to install certificates using IE 7 on Vista you must run IE with
Protected Mode off. The easiest way to do that is to elevate IE.
Right-click
the Internet Explorer icon and select Run as administrator... Then
navigate
to the site and open the cert they way you did before. Now the option to
install the cert is enabled.

What if you're not an administrator?

Do you have to get an administrator to type in his password to get the
certificate installed on your machine?

Can you not simply download the certificate as a CER file, and then install
it manually?

Alun.
~~~~
--
Texas Imperial Software | Web: http://www.wftpd.com/
23921 57th Ave SE | Blog: http://msmvps.com/alunj/

Old April 1st 07, 04:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

What if you're not an administrator?

Do you have to get an administrator to type in his password to get the
certificate installed on your machine?

Uhm, yes. Installing new root certificates that are trusted by man and beast
(and kernels) alike is a decidedly administrative operation - not to be
trusted to the untrustworthy.
Old April 1st 07, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Guest

"Jesper" wrote in message
What if you're not an administrator?

Do you have to get an administrator to type in his password to get the
certificate installed on your machine?

Uhm, yes. Installing new root certificates that are trusted by man and
beast
(and kernels) alike is a decidedly administrative operation - not to be
trusted to the untrustworthy.

Sorry - thought it might be a user certificate.

For deploying trusted root certificates throughout a domain, the page at
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...cdd691033.mspx
should help.

Don't forget to set a reminder to edit the GPO before the certificate
expires!

Alun.
~~~~

Old April 3rd 07, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Chris Peikert

Ok I went into IE 7 and turned off the Protected Mode. Went and installed
the certificate and it says Certificate Installed Succesful.

However when I exit IE7 and go back into the same web page it still ask for
the certificate. What do I do now?

. ..

Old April 3rd 07, 06:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Paul Adare

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:44:21 GMT, Chris Peikert wrote:

Ok I went into IE 7 and turned off the Protected Mode. Went and installed
the certificate and it says Certificate Installed Succesful.

However when I exit IE7 and go back into the same web page it still ask for
the certificate. What do I do now?

Chances are good that this really has nothing to do with Protected Mode. It
is more likely that the certificate you're installing is actually an
intermediate certificate rather than a root certificate, which is what you
need to install in order to get rid of the error message. What is the URL
of the site in question?

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine

Old April 4th 07, 10:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Paul Adare

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:08:16 GMT, Chris Peikert wrote:

It shows the certificate under both Intermediate and Root. Now what do we
do?

Without the URL so I can look at the certificate there's not much more I
can do for you.