A Positive Suggestion

Old March 29th 07, 06:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cvp

Default A Positive Suggestion

There are so many posts in this group along the lines of "Why is my device
not supported?" I'd like to suggest how we can all deal with the problem.

Let's get a few things straight first:
1) It isn't Microsoft's job to write device drivers for all the hardware out
there
2) It IS Microsoft's job to enable the device owners to play their part
(they have done this)
3) The device manufacturers are business people. It's their decision whether
they should spend development resources of devices they no longer
manufacture. It's their decision how quickly they provide device drivers for
new/current devices. It's also their decision to decide how much to spend to
keep their current customer base. They are responsible to their stockholders
for all those decisions.
4) However it's OUR decision to choose which manufacturer we buy equipment
from. That decision should take into account how well that manufacturer
handled the previous OS change and how well they're handling this one.
'Handling' includes support, timeliness of support, level of function
supported and the cost of the equipment or replacement equipment. I have a
different view of the support for a $40 printer than I have for a $400 one
(especially if new cartridges cost $60). All of this will give you a good
indication how well they'll handle the next change. Reward those that do it
well. Punish those that don't. Buying Power is in fact REAL power.

Given the choices we have, it's important to let the manufacturers know how
we perceive THEIR decisions.
Expecting them to peruse these forums to glean that information is
unrealistic. It merely requires a letter or email to their marketing arm to
let them know how satisfied or dissatisfied you are with their actions. It's
also information when you say "I'll never buy from XXX again!", but I'd
suggest it will have more impact if you inform them that you're viewing
their actions now as an indication of how they will act at the next change
and making your purchasing decisions now, based on that view. Then MAKE your
decision.

In short, let them know directly AND stick with your decision.

Old April 1st 07, 12:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Devin Somerton

Amen to that. im tired of people complaining about how vista sucks. I had
many problems to but i fixed them. with any new OS you will have hardware
and software conflicts. if your not ready to wait for updates or buy new
hardware dont change os