Network printing blocked by firewall

Old March 30th 07, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Bloggitt

Default Network printing blocked by firewall

I can't print to my wireless print server device without disabling the Vista
firewall.

I'm using 2 Vista Home Premium PC's both have the same printer software
loaded.
My Vista laptop is protected by Norton Internet Security 2007 and prints fine.
My Vista desktop PC just has the standard Microsoft firewall.

Does anyone know what setting I need to tweak so I can print ok without
messing with my security settings each time?

Cheers - Bloggitt
Old March 31st 07, 12:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

I can't print to my wireless print server device without disabling the Vista
firewall.

I'm using 2 Vista Home Premium PC's both have the same printer software
loaded.
My Vista laptop is protected by Norton Internet Security 2007 and prints fine.
My Vista desktop PC just has the standard Microsoft firewall.

Which one of them is it that can't print, or is it both? The Vista firewall
should have no impact on printing as long as it is in its default
configuration.

---

Old March 31st 07, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Bloggitt

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
My laptop with NIS2007 prints fine without any messing about with any
settings.
I didn't do anything except load the software and it worked immediately.

When I print with my desktop PC, the document sits in the queue and stays
there until I turn off the Windows Firewall, then it prints ok.
If I turn the firewall back on before a large document has finished
printing, it pauses outputting and only resumes when I turn the firewall off
again.

I don't have any problems passing files back and forth via the network
between the 2 pc's so I can only think the problem is specific to printing to
the print server and only some kind of restriction by the Windows Firewall.

I can't see what firewall setting needs adjusting to allow the correct data
traffic to pass to my printer.
Old March 31st 07, 02:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

I can't see what firewall setting needs adjusting to allow the correct data
traffic to pass to my printer.

I can't either. That makes no sense. Have you made any changes to the
configuration of the firewall? The firewall will block inbound connections by
default and outbound connections only for some services. Neither of those
should interfere with your printing. It also ought to ask you if it blocks
something that is needed for printing.

What kind of printer do you have and what software do you have loaded? What
interface does the printer use (network I presume)?
Old March 31st 07, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Bloggitt

I've not adjusted the firewall in any way from its original installed
configuration.
I figured - don't know what I'm doing - best not make it worse!

The print server is a Dynamode WL-PS-1P-G which allows any old parallel
printer to be connected to a wireless network. I use an ancient Epson Stylus
Color 600 and HP LaserJet 4P depending on what I'm printing.
It installs on the PC as some kind of pseudo LPT port (LPT:PS3CC3-1
192.168.2.61,PID:1)

It also works fine when I boot the same PC in win XP Pro, so I know there's
no hardware problem anywhere.
Ok, the Dynamode software is fairly old, but it's XP compatible (probably
pre-SP1). It works fine on my Vista Laptop, so can't think that it's
incompatible in any way.

I suppose I could always get another copy of Norton or some other firewall
to replace the Windows one, but that's a last resort really.
Old April 1st 07, 06:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

The print server is a Dynamode WL-PS-1P-G which allows any old parallel
printer to be connected to a wireless network. I use an ancient Epson Stylus
Color 600 and HP LaserJet 4P depending on what I'm printing.
It installs on the PC as some kind of pseudo LPT port (LPT:PS3CC3-1
192.168.2.61,PID:1)

OK, I think the easiest thing is to create a firewall rule that permits this
traffic. Do this, and see if it helps:
1. Click the Window button and in the search box type wf.msc. Hit enter
2. Accept the elevation prompt, giving credentials if needed
3. Click “Inbound rules” in the left pane
4. Click “New Rule…” in the right pane
5. Click the Custom radio button and click Next
6. Click All programs and click Next
7. Click Next on the protocol and ports screen
8. In the “Which remote IP addresses does this rule match” click “These IP
addresses”
9. Click the Add…. Button
10. In the “This IP address or subnet” box type 192.168.2.61. Hit OK
11. Click Next
12. Click Next
13. Click Next
14. In the Name: box type “Dynamode printer” and click Finish

That should do it right there. I doubt that it is outbound filters that
block it because you said you had not modified the firewall settings. If this
does not fix it, then do the following as well:
1. Click Outbound Rules in the left pane
2. Click New Rule… in the right pane
3. Select the Custom radio button and click Next
4. Select “All programs” and click Next
5. Click Next
6. Under “Select which remote IP addresses does this rule match” select
“These IP addresses”
7. Click Add…
8. Type 192.168.2.61 and click OK
9. Click Next
10. Select Allow the connection and click Next
11. Click Next
12. Type Dynamode Printer in the Name box and click Finish

Assuming the IP addresses for the print server is correct, and that it will
not change, this will allow all traffic back and forth to the printer. If
this does not solve the problem it is not a firewall issue. Let us know how
it goes.
---

Old April 2nd 07, 08:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Bloggitt

"Jesper" wrote:

[...]

Yep, that's sorted it alright!

Ok, if I'd have known there was an advanced firewall settings console, not
accessible via the control panel, there's a very, very slight chance I'd have
fumbled my way through it, but I doubt it.
I certainly wouldn't have picked "Inbound rule" and "Remote IP address" in
any of my early guesses!

Thanks so much Jesper, you're a star!
Cheers, Bloggitt
Old April 3rd 07, 04:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jesper

Glad to help. There are actually about three different configuration
interfaces for the firewall. This one is surfaced through Administrative
tools, but it is kind of obscure.

Remember, if this stops working more than likely your printer picked up a
different IP address. If that happens, go back in and change the IP address
to the new address.

---