Please Help me with security center problem

Old March 30th 07, 11:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Inferno

Default Please Help me with security center problem

I have just done an upgrade of vista ultimate i am using nod32 AV i am having
problems where security center wont recognise it and also will not allow me
to turn on windows defender or update it.I do not want to have to monitor it
mysel just laziness i guess but i would like security center to monitor it
for me.Any suggestions please
Old April 2nd 07, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
C.B.

I had this same problem. My computer has a 64 bit processor and came with
Vista Home Premium (32 bit) already installed. Windows Security Center
recognized every security program I evaluated. I then reformatted my hard
drive and did a clean install upgrade to Vista Ultimate (64 bit). I had to do
a clean install because you cannot update a 64 bit OS over a 32 bit OS.
Windows Security Center recognized all security software I evaluated on it.
However, the lack of 64 bit software applications forced me to go with the
Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I reformatted my hard drive and did a clean install of
Vista Ultimate 32 bit. Windows Security Center WOULD NOT recognize any
security software, not even Windows Defender and Windows Live One Care. I
know they were operating properly because I watched them in Process Explorer
and Task Manager. The software also properly updated itself. Windows Security
Center would not recognize the software even after I ran the software and
rebooted several times. I then called Microsoft. I talked with them for appx.
one hour before they finally made the decision to close the case as unsolved.
I then reformatted my hard drive once again, reinstalled the OEM Vista Home
Premium and upgraded to Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I don't know why but the
problem has been solved. Windows Security Center now recognizes any and all
security software installed and running. However, please be advised that if
you install Windows Live One Care it will disable Windows Defender as Windows
Defender has been "incorporated" into Live Once Care. The good part in all of
this is that it takes me only 15 minutes to do a clean install of any of the
Vista operating systems and only 20 minutes for the upgrade. I don't know why
this is so. I don't have a superfast computer. I am running an AMD Athlon x64
4200 dual core processor on a Dell E-521 desktop, 320 GB hard drive, 2 GB of
dual channel memory and an ATI Radeon x1300 pro graphics card. As you can
see, this system is nothing special.

Old April 2nd 07, 01:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Malke

Inferno wrote:
I have just done an upgrade of vista ultimate i am using nod32 AV i am having
problems where security center wont recognise it and also will not allow me
to turn on windows defender or update it.I do not want to have to monitor it
mysel just laziness i guess but i would like security center to monitor it
for me.Any suggestions please

Are you using the absolutely latest version of NOD32? If not, you need
to get it. Refer to any instructions for upgrading on their website.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old April 2nd 07, 03:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Inferno

Hi yes i am running the latest version of nod32 no matter what i do i cannot
get security centre to recognise it or get security centre to turn on
windows defender

Old April 2nd 07, 12:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Malke

Inferno wrote:
Hi yes i am running the latest version of nod32 no matter what i do i cannot
get security centre to recognise it or get security centre to turn on
windows defender

Security Center doesn't "turn on" anything. It just reports. This is the
first time you've mentioned the Windows Defender problem.

I suggest you contact NOD32 tech support (or look at their support
website first) to see if their av program is recognized by Vista's
Security Center. Even in XP not all av programs were recognized by the
operating system.

You also haven't given us enough information to get focused help. Here
is a link that will show you what details to include in a post:

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

In general, you always want to provide the answer to The First Question
Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time things worked and the
time they didn't?

Malke
Old April 2nd 07, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Inferno

Hi. Ok, I was running windows xp professional and have now installled windows
vista ultimate upgrade.I was originally using avast professional anti virus
and have changed to nod 32.Since doing the upgrade my security centre does
not pick up nod 32 i know it should be picked up as i hve it running on
another pc with vista and it is recognised.As for windows defender, in
security centre it has the tab to turn on now next defender when i click it ,
it tries to update defender it then says no updates availabe and still does
not turn on monitoring.I have noticed defender does not update either when i
open the program.I would like to know if this is a major problem the fact
that security centre does not recognise either and i have to have it on
monitor myself.