Vista Banter

-   -   Annoying product key problems (http://www.vistabanter.com/36150-annoying-product-key-problems.html)

Dan Smith April 1st 07 08:16 PM

Annoying product key problems

Hello,
I recently bought Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit system and installed in on
my 120 GB hard drive. After the installation was complete I did that "rate my
system" program and my hard drive was a 4 whereas everything else was 5.5.
This made me decide to buy a new hard drive. I purchased a 500 GB hard drive
that was rather costly (but worth it :)) which used a SATA connection rather
than parallel. I connected the new drive and installed vista with ease. I
went to activate windows but it says that it is in use! I understand that it
is on my other hard drive but I have scrapped that one in favour of my new
one (logical don’t you think?). It’s not as if I am using the same version of
windows on two computers, since I will not be using the other hard drive.
Could someone please give me some advice on what to do next, since I only
bought vista 3 weeks ago and it cost me £350 and I am not prepared to buy a
new copy just because I upgraded my computer! Thank you for your help

Richard G. Harper April 1st 07 08:52 PM

Annoying product key problems

Call the telephone activation number and explain your situation. You will
not need to purchase another copy of Vista.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Lilo Lentz April 1st 07 09:08 PM

Annoying product key problems

Hi
One question regarding installing VISTA again on same harddrive, but other
partition..
Will I then also have to CALL to be able to activate Vista again???

Lilo

Dustin Harper April 1st 07 10:01 PM

Annoying product key problems

Yes, if Vista has already previously been activated, you will more than
likely have to call to activate again.

--
Dustin Harper

http://www.vistarip.com

Microsoft MVP April 1st 07 11:06 PM

Annoying product key problems

You will need to call them to reactivate. This is how Microsoft has decided
to operate as they don't care about anything but profit.
You will talk to someone in India who has no idea what they are doing and
you won't be able to understand them and they won't be able to understand
you. They will probably hang up on you as they did me, but as far as
Microsoft is concerned, tough luck.
Here is the link to return Vista:
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/prod...und/refund.asp
You're welcome.