Old September 3rd 07, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Diamontina Cocktail

Default 2GB to 4GB, how much of an improvement?

Where does it improve things, then?

I have an instance here that it did.

1gig ram on a P4 3Ghz here upgraded from XP to Vista Business. Machine was
running not so good but then I expected I would need another gig of ram and
hadn't gotten it yet. What I did find, by accident, was a 4 gig flash drive
that is readyboost OK. I put it in and used it as "extra ram" as the
motherboard will be replaced later this year and has only DDR on it. I will
need DDR2 for the next one.

When I put that 4gig flash drive in and configured it for readyboost, it
made a noticeable difference though it wasn't a FABULOUS difference.

I would appreciate knowing in which cases you think extra ram WOULD make a
difference. Eg, video editing, sound editing?

"Richard Urban" wrote in message
Little to no improvement if you run "normal" applications.

You will still need the pagefile.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Alfred Kaufmann" wrote in message
I am thinking of going to 4GB ram and I wonder if it is worth it? The
only reason I am thinking of doing it is to turn off virtual memory
and eliminate swapping on the hard drive.

Please let me know your experience if you have done this upgrade.

Al