wab address book won't show up in fax

Old February 26th 08, 01:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
DS_NZ[_6_]

Default wab address book won't show up in fax

Re the Address Book Service: I'm not certain how you tell it is
"actually working".

My old .pst file had a Contacts folder with two sub-folders of type
contacts (one holds business contacts, the other personal contacts).
All three, plus the 2007 Contacts folder display correctly in Outlook
(ie. all are selectable in "Contacts" view), and I use the original
Contacts for email addresses and dialling phone calls from OL regularly
and without problem.

The new (2007) Contacts folder only has one entry at this stage but
that appears to work fine also.

'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook Wrote:
;626120']Well first of all there is no The next thing I'd do in your
case is verify that the Outlook Address Book
Service is actually working in Outlook and displaying the correct
Contacts
Folder. Is your Outlook installation set to prompt for a profile?

--
DS_NZ
Old February 26th 08, 01:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

So you are not set to prompt for an Outlook profile. My other question was
how your Outlook Address Book is configured and whether it displays the
designated Contact Folders correctly, especially if you are running with 3
PST's. You have had lots of opportunity to migrate that data incorrectly and
corrupt your Outlook Address Book Service.
In Vista one normally sets the default program by making that problem the
default for all the extensions and functions it can handle. So if you award
Outlook all its defaults, it should be your default Contacts manager
provided you have the Outlook Address Book Service installed and configured
correctly. If you have changed your default, you may need to elevate WFS and
create a new Fax Account.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"DS_NZ" wrote in message
news

Hmm. I was not looking to use .wab, but thought it may be causing
problems. On my system (Vista Bus x64), .wab does show up under
"Control Panel\Default Programs\Set Associations" with Windows Contacts
nominated as the default program.

I'm still not certain about setting the "default Contact manager at the
OS level", since in "Control Panel\Default Programs\Set Default
Programs" there is nothing about Contacts or Contact Manager listed for
Outlook. I would include a screenshot but do not have a web site & it
seems the only way is to link to an image on a web site.

I do not understand the "Is your Outlook installation set to prompt for
a profile?". AFAIK it doesn't prompt me for anything. It just opens up
in Inbox under Personal Folders.

One possibly complicating factor in my case is that I have OL linked to
3 .pst files (2 listed as "Personal Folders", both of which have contact
folders - & 2 calendars etc). One is my old XP Outlook personal folder
(~ 1GB in size, so I want to keep it separate), but that appears to
cause no problems at all in normal Outlook use.

'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook Wrote:
;626120']Well first of all there is no WAB in Vista, so I'm not sure why
anyone is
trying to access one. What is _supposed_ to happen, and what has worked
for
both Hal and me, is that WFS will use whatever is set as the default
Contact
manager at the OS level. For most people that would be either Windows
Contacts or Outlook. I would not expect WFS to use Windows Live Mail or
Windows Live Hotmail Contacts.

The next thing I'd do in your case is verify that the Outlook Address
Book
Service is actually working in Outlook and displaying the correct
Contacts
Folder. Is your Outlook installation set to prompt for a profile?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"DS_NZ" wrote in message
news

Weird.

As per my post in another (similar) recent thread I have the exact
opposite problem. The only options to show up in WFS are Windows
Contacts, Active Directory (don't know what it is & does not appear
be active), and VeriSign ... . I want nothing to do with any of
them.

I want to use Outlook (2007) Contacts, as I have all my Contacts data
from many years back stored there, but I cannot get it to show in
WFS.

I have given OL2007 all its defaults under "Control Panel Default
programs" & confirmed that it is the default for all listed file
types
for OL.

One thing I note though, is that *none of the OL extensions relate to
Contacts*. The only extensions shown for OL are .hol, .ibc, .ics,
.msg,
vcf, .vcs & six protocols.

As per Hal Hostetler's post below, I checked the OL2007 Contacts
folder
Properties. The "Show this folder as an e-mail address book"
checkbox
is *greyed out*, *but IS TICKED*, so I assume that is OK?

Also Outlook Address Book already shows up under the 'Tools|Account
settings|Address Books" tab & I cannot add it again.

Alas still no chop .

Under "Control Panel Default programs", Windows Contacts is default
for 3 extensions - .contact, .group, and .p7c. But as far as I can
see,
OL cannot be made the default for these extensions ????

I am also assuming that OL cannot be made the default program for
.wab?

kookaburra2;624621 Wrote:

--
DS_NZ

--
DS_NZ

Old February 26th 08, 01:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You simply open the Outlook Address Book and see if each folder is listed
and displays correctly.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old February 28th 08, 06:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
DS_NZ[_7_]

They are (all three of them) - after I ticked "Show this folder as an
e-mail address book" in the OL contacts Properties. Made no difference
though, still not accessible from WFS.

Basically I have given up on it - will just add details into Windows
Contacts as & when needed. Not many I will be faxing, but I very much
had hoped not to need two sets of address details. Recipe for 'currency
issues' further down the track.

;626187']You simply open the Outlook Address Book and see if each folder

Old February 28th 08, 10:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Did you try the steps I suggested? Have you tried a new Outlook profile?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news