Folder Permissions

Old April 12th 07, 12:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
d3daiM

Default Folder Permissions

d3daiM;266193 Wrote:
So where are the new folders located?

Like, where is the New Start Menu folder?

I also cannot modify various files in my C:\Program Files [(x86)] such
as the MSN folder without an access denied. I am, however, logged on in
the Administrator account.bump..

BTW, cool trick Bgg

--
d3daiM
d3daiM's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=2386

Old April 12th 07, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
inky

I've had the same problem, trying to access my outlook folder to be able to copy out mu outloook.pst file. Couldn't get access by clicking on the folders, but managed to work out (using XP path) what the path to the file was, and het presto! got access and could copy the files.

Doesn't make sense.

Vista seriously has soe problems.
I'm now back on XP

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Old February 15th 11, 09:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Theofanis Lantzakis

The problem lies not in User Account settings, but in Windows Defender. This is a control-freak bitch of a program. It really is a legalised computer virus that controls your system and won't let you take charge. But this is how I deal with it:
1. Go to control panel.
2. Click onto 'Windows defender'
3. Switch the thing off.
4. Do what you need to do. eg. change permissions, etc. Then turn it on again.
To switch windows defender off, click onto the tiny little arrow next to the blue question mark at the top of the window, and click onto "exit windows defender"

If you fiddle with windows defender and user accounts you might solve your problem. But windows is and always has been the worst f-word operating system since forever.

Good luck.

On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 3:42 AM Neil wrote:

I have been reading all the posts and cannot find an answer that works. I
have Vista Home Prem. I cannot get access to many of the folders on the C:
drive. I consider myself pretty well versed in Windows but Vista totally
baffles me. I cannot even get access to the "My Pictures",etc folders in
the Documents and settings section of my own account. I have a Dell laptop
and I am the only account and it is an admistrator account. I am not very
worried about outsiders getting access, there is no sensitive data and I am
the only user. It is on a secure wifi system in my home.

Please someone help!!

Thanks,
Neil

On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 5:48 AM Bill wrote:

"Neil" wrote:

if you use the deaful configuration with UAC "on" then UAC will prompt you
in order to get the folder permissions. it is very simple with UAC "on".

On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 5:48 AM Bill wrote:

"Neil" wrote:

if you use the default configuration with UAC "on", then UAC will prompt you
in order to get the folder permissions. it is very simple with UAC "on".

On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:44 AM Michael wrote:

My Pictures is not actually a folder (note the little arrow on it) it is a
redirection for older programs that hard coded in that name. The actual
folder is named Pictures in Users\{your name}\

Michael

"Neil" wrote in message

On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:54 AM Malke wrote:

Neil wrote:

You've been given the reason why you're having problems by Michael in
this thread. Here's a very detailed explanation by MVP Jimmy Brush of
the Vista folder hierarchy:

"Many folders used by earlier versions of Windows have been moved to a
new location or given a new name in Windows Vista. However, the old
folders can still be seen if you have enabled Show Hidden Files. Notice
they are displayed with a transparent icon and a shortcut symbol.

"Although these look like folders, they are actually what is known as a
junction. Junctions behave like shortcuts, but look just like regular
folders. Their purpose is to silently redirect programs that access them
to their Windows Vista equivalent.

"Since junctions aren't really folders, it is not possible to access
them, and any attempt to do so will give you an "Access Denied" error.

Here is a list of all of the folders that have been moved in Windows
Vista, along with their new location:
Windows XP Location Windows Vista Location
\Documents and Settings \Users
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents \Users\$USER$\Documents
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents\My Music \Users\$USER$\Music
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents\My Pictures
\Users\$USER$\Pictures
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\My Documents\My Videos
\Users\$USER$\Videos
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Application Data
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Cookies
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Co okies
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Local
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\NetHood
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Ne twork Shortcuts
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\PrintHood
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Pr inter Shortcuts
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Recent
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Re cent
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\SendTo
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Se ndTo
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Start Menu
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\St art Menu
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Templates
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Te mplates
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\Application Data
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Local
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\History
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Hist ory
\Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
\Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary Internet Files
\Documents and Settings\All Users \ProgramData
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data \ProgramData
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop \Users\Public\Desktop
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents \Users\Public\Documents
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Favorites \Users\Public\Favorites
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Templates
\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates
\Documents and Settings\Default User \Users\Default "

Hope that helps,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 9:33 AM Paul Adare wrote:

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 05:54:21 -0700, Malke wrote:

Except that the above is technically incorrect. The Access Denied when
attempting to access a junction has nothing at all to do with the fact that
they are junctions and has everything to do with the fact that they have a
Deny for Everyone ACE on them.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine

On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:14 PM Neil wrote:

Thank you and Michael for the explantation. I figured that the little arrow
meant more than the old shortcut arrow but did not know what. I did manage
to give myself permission the access the Application Data folder in my
Documents and Settings folder but that was the only one that I could change.

Neil

"Malke" wrote in message

On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 6:02 PM LoneStar wrote:

"Malke" wrote in message
SNIP.............

Excellent answer. I had this same "problem" today after I played around
with my Folder Options. I just reset things to the default settings (esp.
not to "show hidden files...") and all is well now. I thought I found my
first bug in my Premium version, but not yet. Great OS!

EW

On Monday, April 09, 2007 4:15 PM d3daiM wrote:

So where are the new folders located?

Like, where is the New Start Menu folder?

I also cannot modify various files in my C:\Program Files [(x86)] such
as the MSN folder without an access denied. I am, however, logged on in
the Administrator account.

--
d3daiM
d3daiM's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=2386
View this thread: http://www.vista64.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53867

On Wednesday, April 11, 2007 6:42 PM Bgg wrote:

First, the download from MS, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en , doesn't setup or fix your network. It just allows Vista to find the XP machine. Go to Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel of the Vista. Below the Network Map, Click on Customize. Use the Same network name that is on the XP machines. By Default, it is Workgroup, or Home, and it is best to change that. Click on Private, and Next. Once is it done, click Back. Do not reboot. In the Network And Sharing center, set the following. Network Discovery - on Files Sharing - on Public folder sharing - on Printer Sharing - on Password protect sharing - Off Media Sharing - on. Reboot the machine, twice. Don't miss this step. Install the MS patch above to each XP box. Give Vista about 10 min to find all the machines. Click on StartNetwork, and you should see the machines. Click on a XP machine with a folder shared. If you get an access denied error, just by clicking on the machine, it is probley a firewall issue. For testing, disable the firewalls. Once you can see the folder, if you do not have a user on the XP machine with the same name and password, it will request one for a user that has permissions on the XP machine. This gives you permissions to the Public folders. Haven't figured out the "Share any folder" trick yet. Now, if someone figures out how to access a Trendnet HNAS-1 Nas device, with Vista, I would be interested in how. Also, remember to get you firewalls backup. For your Norton users, you have my sympathy

On Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:01 PM d3daiM wrote:

d3daiM;266193 Wrote:

BTW, cool trick Bgg

--

On Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:37 AM inky wrote:

I've had the same problem, trying to access my outlook folder to be able to copy out mu outloook.pst file. Couldn't get access by clicking on the folders, but managed to work out (using XP path) what the path to the file was, and het presto! got access and could copy the files.

Doesn't make sense.

Vista seriously has soe problems.

I'm now back on XP

Submitted via EggHeadCafe
SQL Server CLR Stored Procedures for External Access
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...al-access.aspx