Old September 11th 07, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
turbotoes

Default Sidewinder Strategic Commander problems

"Rotorhead" wrote:

PLEASE HELP TURBO.....

I did the above before turning off the User Account Control, so I went back
turned that off but nothing happened so I started uninstalling the HID
compliant game controllers and devices and now I'm stuck with it displaying
the Microsoft Strategic Commander under "Other Devices" with no HID options.
I have tried reinstalling the drivers, but still get an error and it comes
back the same way if I unplug and plug the controller back in, PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks.

Rotorhead: uninstall the strat comm from “programs and features”, reboot and
start from scratch, following these instructions to the letter. If you then
get an error message, let me know what it is and I will try to help. I now
have four vista machines all a bit different and all have strat comms
attached and working. So i can’t see why yours should not work.

Okay, let’s start from the beginning.
Turn off user account control, and make sure your account has admin
privileges.
Stick disk in cd drive, find and run setup.exe
Follow instruction through, select region and all that stuff, accept the
agreement, and to keep it simple the default location. You will then see the
progress bar zip through installing the program files and then the profiles,
at this point the setup will rudely ask “if you are sure you want to exit
install ?” click yes.
Now for the plugging in. Before you do, open up device manager (control
panel, system, device manager) then click on the plus sign by ”human
interface devices” - just to see what is there-
Now plug in, you may or may not get a message about drivers being installed
at this point, but you should get two new devices under the HID heading,
1. HID-compliant device and
2. Usb human interface device.
Right click on HID-compliant device and choose “ update driver”
Then click “ browse my computer for driver software,
Then “let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”
In the next window you will have a choice of - HID-compliant device
Or - Microsoft SideWinder Strategic Commander HID drivers,
Click the MS SW drivers, then next. You should then get a message telling
you that “windows has successfully updated driver software” hoorah.
You should now have two new devices under HID
Microsoft SideWinder Strategic Commander HID drivers and
Microsoft SideWinder virtual keyboard (you may also have Microsoft
SideWinder virtual mouse, but not always?!)
Now repeat the driver update for the “Usb human interface device.”
Once this is complete you may or -not- have to restart your pc. And then
your strat comm should work fine.