Old September 15th 07, 11:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
nweissma

Default 2GB to 4GB, how much of an improvement?

i am curious: what did you read that recommends against adding system memory?

"Alfred Kaufmann" wrote:

Thanks for the information everyone! I have Vista 64bit, an AM2
motherboard and an AMD X2 64 processor but I can't find this "memory
remap" option in my bios. Also from what I have been reading this
upgrade is best avoided. :-(

Al

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:26:20 -0700, "JW" wrote:

He will not need to use the page file until the programs/data required to be
kept in memory use up all of the extra 2GB in his system.
Alfred,
If you are running Vista 32 you will probably only get the benefit of a
little over 1GB of the extra memory you add. See the following:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

.
"Richard Urban" wrote in message
Little to no improvement if you run "normal" applications.

You will still need the pagefile.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Alfred Kaufmann" wrote in message
I am thinking of going to 4GB ram and I wonder if it is worth it? The
only reason I am thinking of doing it is to turn off virtual memory
and eliminate swapping on the hard drive.

Please let me know your experience if you have done this upgrade.

Al