Copying Large Files Over The Network....Extreamly SLOW

Old April 8th 07, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
-Draino-

Default Copying Large Files Over The Network....Extreamly SLOW

I am experiencing incredibly poor performance when copying and moving files,
and yes, even calculating the time to move the files takes just as
long as actually moving the damn files! As this is one of the most basic
features of an OS, you'd think they would ensured it would work correctly.
Seems MS spent more time making things look pretty than actually making sure
the basics work.

I've also noticed that copying files over a network is even worse; on
several occasions I've had to leave it copying files overnight as it was
going to take 3 hours to move 200Mb of files - ridiculous. XP shifted the
files in a couple of minutes.

I can't believe that this problem did not exist pre-release........... and
MS released Vista anyway.

I have tried:

1. Running "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable" (Did Not Work)

2. Installing the hotfix at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931770 (Did Not Work)

2a. Hotfixes can be found he
http://hotfix.xable.net/download/ind...Neutral/Vista/

3. Tried going to Control Panel - Programs And Features and unchecked
"Remote Differential Compression" (Did Not Work)

4. Disabling the Windows Search service "SearchIndexer.exe" (Did Not Work)

5. Tried going to Control panel - Folder options - show icons, never
thumbnails (Did Not Work)

I am all out of ideas. This is a real MS problem. This is one problem that
could take Vista right out of the picture............ for good. Looks like
MS dropped the ball on Vista....even more so than with WinME, but that's
another story.

Randy D

Old April 8th 07, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

This collection may help,

Vista Slow IssuesVista: very slow to copy large files · http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=576 · Vista: Slow Network Performance ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaslow.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Old April 8th 07, 05:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Dan

On Apr 8, 9:16 am, "-Draino-" wrote:
[...]

Randy,

I also had this problem and have read many posts about it. Let me
tell you where I am at with it, at the risk of you thnking I am nuts.
For the first week that I had my new Vista box I had a major issue
with the slow network copying and tried everyhting you did and as with
your experience, nothing worked. I talked to Microsoft about it and
they had no solutions other than the steps that you already took. I
even upgraded to a gigabit network switch and new router to eliminate
any bottlenecks. Suddenly, after a week or so, the problem seemed to
go away - I don't know if Vista was indexing everything on the server
or why the problem went away but I went from about 5/sec to 25/sec
transfer rate - this is copying and pasting the same file (a 500 MB
video) from server to local hard drive. I timed the same file transfer
both to an XP box and the Vista box and they are almost identical in
time. I know that this info probably doesn't help you, but I just
wanted to share my experience with the same problem. Dan