2nd Internal Not working

Old April 8th 07, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JoeRV007

Default 2nd Internal Not working

I have just installed Vista Home Premium and my second internal HD won't
work. The HD worked in the previous installation of XP Pro and from a Live CD
version of Linux.

According to the Computer Manager, the drive needs to be formatted before it
can be used. I dont want to format it becuase it has all my mp3s and photos
on.

Any suggestions
Old April 8th 07, 04:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Copy the files to another location and then repair the drive.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

news

Old April 8th 07, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JoeRV007

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, its not really possible. My windows HD is
only 20gb and my storage HD is 80gb and is almost full.

I have just checked this and according to Windows Computer Management Disk
Managment, my other Hard Drive is a Dynamic disk. I have never heard of that
before.

Can anyone help?
Old April 8th 07, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

A basic disk is the default mode. A dynamic disk is created by choice or by
accident. If you try to convert a dynamic disk to a basic disk you will
loose everything - guaranteed. It is likely "because" the disk is a dynamic
disk that you cant see under the new operating system.

You only hope, at this point, is to do what I first said. You MUST copy the
information to another drive, even if you have to beg, borrow or steal it.
You would do this while having the hard drive connected to a computer that
is using the same operating system as was used when the files were saved to
the drive.

Then you would put the drive back in your present computer and delete all
partitions that are currently present. You would then create a new partition
and format the same as NTFS. You want the drive to end up as a basic disk
once again.

Old April 8th 07, 06:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JoeRV007

Thank you very much for your advice. Seems a bit silly that Vista Premium
wont recognise a drive which was running on an XP Pro O/S just a few days ago
and can be read in Linux.

What I will do then is boot up in linux, copy over as much to my windows
drive as I can, reboot in windows and then burn the stuff to DVD. This will
be fun!

Thanks for you help.

Joe
Old April 8th 07, 07:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David Vair

Did you do a clean install of Vista and was the drive in the machine at the time? It may be an
ownership issue on the drive itself. Do a google for taking ownership of files and folders and see
if that helps.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

news

Old April 9th 07, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Don

JoeRV007 wrote:
Thank you very much for your advice. Seems a bit silly that Vista Premium
wont recognise a drive which was running on an XP Pro O/S just a few days ago
and can be read in Linux.

What I will do then is boot up in linux, copy over as much to my windows
drive as I can, reboot in windows and then burn the stuff to DVD. This will
be fun!

Important! I'll bet my lunch money that the linux kernel does not yet
speak Vista's new flavor of NTFS. Do *not* attempt to write to a Vista
NTFS partition from linux or you will wind up in a similar mess.

Don't be in a hurry -- be cautious and do your experimenting on test
partitions you create for the purpose. Your files will still be there
later as long as you don't screw up because you're rushing.

Old April 9th 07, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JoeRV007

I had XP Pro running previously. It was installed on a 20gb internal hd. I
stored everything else on my internal 80gb hd.

I rather stupidly tried to install Knoppix Linux to an external USB HD but
accidentally wrote over the master boot record so XP stopped working. I
decided that I would get Vista.

I bought a copy of the upgrade which meant that I had to reinstall XP and
then install Vista but I did set it to do a clean install.

The 80gb drive was connected at all times and is the primary drive on the
second IDE bus. The only thing I can think of is that when I installed my 2nd
drive, for some reason I selected dynamic drive when I formatted it. God
knows why I would have done that.

Luckily, however, I have a DVD burner and I have been able to access and
burn to DVD all the files from the 2nd drive using a Live CD of Knoppix. It
just takes a long time to burn 78gb to DVD at 4x.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Joe

"David Vair" wrote:

Did you do a clean install of Vista and was the drive in the machine at the time? It may be an
ownership issue on the drive itself. Do a google for taking ownership of files and folders and see
if that helps.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+