Old September 19th 07, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ed[_3_]

Default 2GB to 4GB, how much of an improvement?

Last summer I built two new computers – just to use with the Vista Betas
(which were the Ultimate version). One has an Intel DualCore processor and an
Intel D945GPM motherboard; the other an AMD CPU with an ASUS A8N-SLI mb.
Both ran the Betas, at the end I even installed the Betas of Office 2007
successfully.

In the beginning, I used 2GB of RAM in each machine, then thought “if two is
good, four is better” and upgraded both machines to 4 GB. They worked. THEN
the Betas expired, so I got a copy of Vista Business from e-academy and tried
to install it on the AMD machine. ERROR ERROR ERROR . Deciphered, it said:
“You have too much memory”. So I pulled two sticks of memory, and MIRACLE,
it installed. So did Office 2007 and some other Microsoft programs. And they
all worked!

After the third ReadyBoost thumb drive quit working, I got the STUPID idea
of putting the two sticks of RAM back in the machine. Turned it on – FLASHING
LIGHT on the motherboard, and before I could pull the power cord, everything
QUIT. I don”t know if it is the power supply, the motherboard, the CPU, or
what. Guess I will replace them one at a time and see what happens.

Has anyone else had these problems?

--
Ed

"Alfred Kaufmann" wrote:

I am thinking of going to 4GB ram and I wonder if it is worth it? The
only reason I am thinking of doing it is to turn off virtual memory
and eliminate swapping on the hard drive.

Please let me know your experience if you have done this upgrade.

Al