Vista Memory Diagnostics failing at 21%

Old April 10th 07, 06:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kim

Default Vista Memory Diagnostics failing at 21%

I have 4 1gB sticks of Kingston memory in a Gigabyte GA-965p-ds3 ver 3.3,
with bios at ver F10, running at normal speeds. Due to a concern about faulty
data after doing an Easy Transfer from another system, I ran Vista Memory
Diagnostics in "Extended" mode (Standard mode tests ok). It fails at 21%
whether I run it on all four modules, remove two of the modules, replace them
with the other two modules, or run just one module.
Memtest86 runs ok.
Any ideas? I have even changed the BIOS settings to run the memory at 533mhz
(it is 667mhz memory).
Is there a way to view the MemDiag.bin file that is created in the
\Windows\system32\logfiles folder? All I get from Memory Diagnostics is a
message that my memory failed the test and I should go to my supplier!
Old April 10th 07, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message Kim
wrote:

I have 4 1gB sticks of Kingston memory in a Gigabyte GA-965p-ds3 ver 3.3,
with bios at ver F10, running at normal speeds. Due to a concern about faulty
data after doing an Easy Transfer from another system, I ran Vista Memory
Diagnostics in "Extended" mode (Standard mode tests ok). It fails at 21%
whether I run it on all four modules, remove two of the modules, replace them
with the other two modules, or run just one module.
Memtest86 runs ok.
Any ideas? I have even changed the BIOS settings to run the memory at 533mhz
(it is 667mhz memory).
Is there a way to view the MemDiag.bin file that is created in the
\Windows\system32\logfiles folder? All I get from Memory Diagnostics is a
message that my memory failed the test and I should go to my supplier!

Try memtest86+ instead, it gives a lot more details about what and where
the failure occurred.

Have you tried placing in only a single stick, but in each of the
different slots?

Failing at 21% is odd, that should change when the total amount of
memory is reduced.
--
Insert something clever here.
Old April 11th 07, 03:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kim

"DevilsPGD" wrote:

In message Kim
wrote:

[...]

I know, very odd. I have tried using various combinations, but not putting a
single stick in different slots. I am not sure it is always failing, here is
some more info:
First, I tried running the Diagnostics on the older computer that I am
upgrading from. Pentium 4, 2.53ghz, 1GB memory. It goes through the whole
test fine.
Second, I have been stopping the test when it gets to 21% because it sits
there for a long time (greater than 1/2 hr even with just 1GB in), whereas
the old system ran through each % pretty much proportionately. However, if I
let it go on, it does not fail - sometimes. Not very comforting.
Three, I emailed Kingston (the memory is their valueram) and they said to
RMA it,
Four, I have run Memtest86 on it and it passed, but I have not let it run
overnight.
Five, I am returning the memory to Newegg and instead of replacing it with
the same memory I decided to go to a higher performance memory.
Do you know how to interpret the memdiag.bin that is created by WMD?

I will probably run Memtest86 overnight just out of curiousity, before I
send it back.
Thanks for your help.

Old April 11th 07, 07:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rock

"Kim" wrote
[...]

You've multiposted this to several newsgroups. In the future if you feel it
necessary to post to more than one newsgroup do it by crossposting, sending
one message at the same time time all groups. Multiposting which is sending
separate messages to each group, is counterproductive, leads to duplication
and folks in one group don't see the replies made in the other groups.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Old April 11th 07, 03:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kim

Sorry, Rock. I wasn't sure which group the orginal message should go in.
I'll just proceed in this group and not do it again.

"Kim" wrote

Old April 11th 07, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mikeyhsd

you should just write it off as a virtual spanking by our resident net nanny.and get on with life.
no one is allowed to post anything unless he approves of it in advance.
no one else is allowed to present help or advise unless he approves of it in advance.
he even feels it is necessary to post contradicting or correcting other mvps. excusing it as they did not present sufficient info. when it just getting his name in lights again.

if you do not post using PERFECT english you are wrong.
if you do not post using PERFECT grammar you are wrong.
if you do not post using perfect PUNCTUATION you are wrong.
and worse heaven forbid if you fail to post in the proper news group you are denied an answer but told to buzz off and go to the proper news group.

our little net nanny seems to forget there are many people who post here whose first language is not english. and have a lacking of understanding on how things should work. more tolerance should be given with the prime purpose being to HELP PEOPLE and not shame them or tell them where to go.

"Kim" wrote in message news Sorry, Rock. I wasn't sure which group the orginal message should go in.
I'll just proceed in this group and not do it again.

"Kim" wrote

Old April 11th 07, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message Kim
wrote:

I know, very odd. I have tried using various combinations, but not putting a
single stick in different slots.

The theory being "Test the slot" (as well as testing the RAM, and the
motherboard's ability to handle different configurations)

I am not sure it is always failing, here is
some more info:
First, I tried running the Diagnostics on the older computer that I am
upgrading from. Pentium 4, 2.53ghz, 1GB memory. It goes through the whole
test fine.
Second, I have been stopping the test when it gets to 21% because it sits
there for a long time (greater than 1/2 hr even with just 1GB in), whereas
the old system ran through each % pretty much proportionately. However, if I
let it go on, it does not fail - sometimes. Not very comforting.

Yeah. Unreliable hardware is the worst to try and track down I've
got some RAM here that is temperamental in one of my systems, but works
fine in others, but it usually passes diagnostic tests, but often fails
out a Windows install half way through. Grr.

Three, I emailed Kingston (the memory is their valueram) and they said to
RMA it,

Kingston is pretty good that way.

Four, I have run Memtest86 on it and it passed, but I have not let it run
overnight.

That's usually good news...

Five, I am returning the memory to Newegg and instead of replacing it with
the same memory I decided to go to a higher performance memory.

Sounds reasonable -- Start off leaving your system's configuration as-is
and see if it works before you start tweaking for performance, if the
problem happens again when you're under-specing the RAM, chances are
it's the motherboard (or CPU, if your CPU has an onboard memory
controller -- I don't believe the P4 chip does, but many newer processor
lines have a memory controller on-chip...)

Do you know how to interpret the memdiag.bin that is created by WMD?

That one, I do not...

I will probably run Memtest86 overnight just out of curiousity, before I
send it back.

Certainly can't hurt -- I've yet to see an error that doesn't crop up on
the first full pass, but I still put all new motherboards/RAM through at
least 24 hours of memtest86+ just in case...
--
Insert something clever here.
Old April 11th 07, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DevilsPGD

In message "mikeyhsd"
wrote:

more tolerance should be given with the prime purpose being to HELP PEOPLE and not shame them or tell them where to go.

Indeed. In fact, look how you've attempted to help.

Oh wait, you didn't. Your post was just as useless.

There is a practical reason to crosspost rather then multipost. There
is a limited amount of time and brainpower available to help posters.
Anything which a poster does that reduces that pool of brainpower
decreases the overall amount of "help" available.

By crossposting instead of multiposting, everyone can see the same post,
avoid typing replies which are duplicates / offering duplicate
suggestions, and instead spend that time helping someone else or making
different suggestions rather then everyone retying the same first-step
suggestions.

*shrugs*

Only you can choose your participation level. You can help people, you
can spend your time whining, OR you can whine about the whining about
whining, your call.
--
Insert something clever here.
Old April 12th 07, 01:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rock

"DevilsPGD" wrote

In message "mikeyhsd"
wrote:

[...]

Lol you just have to laugh at mickeyhsd. I replied to Kim in their thread
on the other newsgroup with several suggestions. They are aware of the
issue and will continue in this thread. This as opposed to mikeyhsd, a
quite pathetic character, who is generally of no help.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Old April 12th 07, 01:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mikeyhsd

for sure I do not have a holier than thou attitude where I spend my time reading news messages and refuse to try and help those that do not meet my perceptions of grammar, punctuation, proper english or correct news group.
intentionally denying someone a answer for a problem because of this is WRONG.

you need to re-read the mvp code of conduct especially where it talks about being courteous.

"Rock" wrote in message ...
"DevilsPGD" wrote