Old September 29th 07, 05:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Bruce Chambers

Default Anti Virus Protection?

William F. Welner wrote:
Does one have to purchase a separate anti Virus program for Windows Vista?

One needn't necessarily "purchase" an anti-virus application, as there
are some free (for personal use) products that will more than meet your
needs. But you most definitely do *need* to have a 3rd party anti-virus
solution installed, as Vista has *no* built-in anti-virus protection,
whatsoever. Two of the better and most popular a

Free antivirus - avast! 4 Home Edition

AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-.../crp/6#details

The Computer Shop that sold me my new PC told me that Virus protection
is provided as part of Windows Vista.

They either deliberately lied or are woefully ignorant of all things
computer-related. Either way, and for either reason, I'd strongly
recommend that you never do any business with them again. If, for some
reason, you simply must patronize this shop, be sure to do your homework
ahead of time and don't ever take any of their advice on technical issues.

Immediately turned the PC on I received a message recommending that I
purchase an anti Virus program.

Correct. That's the Security Center warning you that you have a very
serious security vulnerability. However, you need not "purchase" an
anti-virus application, just install one.

I am confused. Please provided me advice on the Anti Virus issue.

Disconnect the computer from the Internet until you have a good
anti-virus solution in place.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: