Old September 30th 07, 04:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
munchie[_2_]

Default Anti Virus Protection?

On Sep 29, 11:43 am, "Ken Blake, MVP"
wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 09:32:42 -0400, "William F. Welner"

wrote:
Does one have to purchase a separate anti Virus program for Windows Vista?

The Computer Shop that sold me my new PC told me that Virus protection is
provided as part of Windows Vista.

Immediately turned the PC on I received a message recommending that I
purchase an anti Virus program.

I am confused. Please provided me advice on the Anti Virus issue.

You got bad information from the computer shop. No version of Windows
has ever come with Virus protection.

Unfortunately, getting misinformation from clerks in stores selling
computers is common, especially if the stores are of the big chain
variety--BestBuy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc. Most of these places
choose the people they hire based on their willingness to accept
something close to minimum wage, not based on their skills. If these
people knew anything, almost certainly they could get a better
job.

However, you can download and install excellent freeware antivirus
software. I recommend Avast! athttp://www.avast.com/

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

As someone who works at one of those "big computer shops", I'd like to
say that some of us do the job because we genuinely like talking-to
and education people. That said, no, Windows does not come with any
built-in antivirus software--though Microsoft does sell their own
which I whole-heartily would NOT recommend.

From what I've seen, some of your best choices for antivirus software

include Kaspersky, Nod32, and Trend Micro. If you're looking for some
additional antispyware protection then definitely checkout Webroot
Spysweeper and PC Tool's Spyware Doctor (not to be confused with the
malicious Spyware Dr.)

You can run many antispyware programs if you desire, but stay away
from running multiple antivirus programs. They'll eat eachother
alive!

-- Munchie