Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

ERROR: hl2.exe has stopped working

Old March 28th 08, 05:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
t0m0wnz

Default ERROR: hl2.exe has stopped working

I have exactly the same problem except when I try going on cs with my
account it crashes and says hl2 has stopped working but when i go on my
friends account it works perfectly fine I dont know why it does this

--
t0m0wnz
Old April 22nd 08, 03:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
stupidbum

I have the same exact problem, and i've uninstalled everything that the
forums on steam said to uninstall such as my google tooolbars, and my
avg 7.5 . and this has been happening for a while. Yesterday i was at my
friends house and we signed onto my accout to play garrys mod and it
worked on his computer. but i dont know whats wrong with my computer. i
have windows vista home edition.
if someone can help me please message me back soon, im so freaking
bored and ****ed because i cant play cs:s.
please message me back soon, i need some help

--
stupidbum

Old April 22nd 08, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

stupidbum wrote in
:

I have the same exact problem, and i've uninstalled everything that the
forums on steam said to uninstall such as my google tooolbars, and my
avg 7.5 . and this has been happening for a while. Yesterday i was at my
friends house and we signed onto my accout to play garrys mod and it
worked on his computer. but i dont know whats wrong with my computer. i
have windows vista home edition.
if someone can help me please message me back soon, im so freaking
bored and ****ed because i cant play cs:s.
please message me back soon, i need some help

Need system specs, make/model. Is this a Vista Upgrade? Did you buy the
system with Vista on it? At any time did Steam work normally? Did you
install any other applications recently? Did you try deleting all the files
in your steam folder (except for the big steamapps folder) and try re-
installing the Steam client from http://www.steampowered.com?

No reason you'd need to remove Google or AVG. No idea why you'd have too.

Also you didn't quote the original problem, and i'm on Usenet, so let us
know what the original issue was.

--
-A.
Old April 22nd 08, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
stupidbum[_2_]

sorry i left so many gaps in my description. ok ill start over
my specs are :
Windows vista home basic
im using a dell inspiron 4305
with an intel(R) core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
2046 MB of RAM
32- bit operating system

^^ those are my specs
my problem is that whenever i start up any game that i have on steam it
either crashed my whole computer and i have to reboot, or the game
crashes and an error message saying "hl2.exe has stopped working".
yes my steam games used to work perfectly fine.
and i uninstalled my google toolbars and avg 7.5 because on the steam
site it says that those things could cause it to crash...
yes i bought the system with vista on it.
i uninstalled all of my games and reinstalled them and they still didnt
work so i uninstalled steam all together and reinstalled steam and they
still dont work.
if you need any more info please let me know.

--
stupidbum

Old April 23rd 08, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

stupidbum wrote in
:

Windows vista home basic
im using a dell inspiron 4305
with an intel(R) core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
2046 MB of RAM
32- bit operating system

my problem is that whenever i start up any game that i have on steam
itdwq either crashed my whole computer and i have to reboot, or the
game crashes and an error message saying "hl2.exe has stopped
working". yes my steam games used to work perfectly fine.
and i uninstalled my google toolbars and avg 7.5 because on the steam
site it says that those things could cause it to crash...
yes i bought the system with vista on it.
i uninstalled all of my games and reinstalled them and they still
didnt work so i uninstalled steam all together and reinstalled steam
and they still dont work.

Sounds like you have a firm grasp on troubleshooting games, I guess I'll
point out the semi-obivous, if reinstalling steam doesn't help then
there's something else on your system, something you changed or
something that has changed that's causing the problem.

I would recommend running System Restore and rewinding your system files
to a date before all these problems started occuring.

You said you have an Inspiron 4305, but support.dell.com doesn't list
that model as a notebook or a desktop Inspiron model. I would suggest
going to Dell support online, find your system model in the Drivers and
Downloads are and make sure you get their latest drivers.

Note that these drivers aren't they newest, they are just the ones that
Dell supports. If you know your video card make/model, and your
motherboard chipset make/model you may consider getting video/chipset
drivers from the manufacturer directly. If you're not sure how, double
check your system model number or post your video card/chipset info
here.

If you disabled System Restore (why?), or if SR doesn't go back far
enough in time then you may end up simply reinstalling Vista. Something
installed or changed on your system causing the crashes. When HL2.exe
stops working does it generate an error log?

--
-A.
Old April 23rd 08, 08:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
stupidbum[_3_]

k i have no idea what your talking about, can you dumb that down a bit
so i can understand what the hell im doing?

--
stupidbum

Old April 23rd 08, 11:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

I shall attempt to "dumb down" what I said below...

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote in
48.16:

stupidbum wrote in
:

[...]

You reinstalled Steam. That did not fix the problem, so it probably is
NOT Steam, there's something else wrong with your system.

I would recommend running System Restore and rewinding your system
files to a date before all these problems started occuring.

Click Start Orb, and type "System Restore"
You should get an icon in your programs list that says "System Restore"

This program is built into Windows XP and Vista, it can "Rewind" your
computer to an earlier point in TIME. Basically, say you install a
program and your computer starts having problems, you can use system
restore to UNDO whatever damage was caused to your system.

It does not effect your personal data, only programs.

If you disabled System Restore (why?), or if SR doesn't go back far
enough in time then you may end up simply reinstalling Vista.
Something installed or changed on your system causing the crashes.
When HL2.exe stops working does it generate an error log?

When you bring up System Restore, you have the option of using a
suggested point in time to rewind too, if you choose No, you can choose
from a calendar of dates where your system files were "remembered". Try
to figure out when you started having problems. choose a date close too
that point in time and try selecting it. Your system reboots, then you
can try the game again.

You said you have an Inspiron 4305, but support.dell.com doesn't list
that model as a notebook or a desktop Inspiron model. I would suggest
going to Dell support online, find your system model in the Drivers
and Downloads are and make sure you get their latest drivers.

Go to http://support.dell.com
Click Drivers and Downloads
Find the model number of your system from this list, the model you
mentioned (Inspiron 4305) does not exist, so I'm guessing you typed it
incorrectly?
Once you find the model of your computer, you can find the drivers for
Chipset, Video, and Audio for your system. Download and install per the
instructions.

Note that these drivers aren't they newest, they are just the ones
that Dell supports. If you know your video card make/model, and your
motherboard chipset make/model you may consider getting video/chipset
drivers from the manufacturer directly. If you're not sure how, double
check your system model number or post your video card/chipset info
here.

Dell tests drivers before they post them, if you want newer drivers you
have to go to the makers of each piece of hardware in your computer,
Video cards are usually made by nVidia (http://www.nvidia.com), or ATi
(http://ati.amd.com)

If you go to their sites, find your video card you can get a newer
version of their drivers which might fix your problems. You can probably
skip this suggestion, for now.
--
You're trying to do something difficult over text based messasge board,
it's not going to be easy, if you have any friends in your area that

Worse case scenario, Dells come packaged with "Restore" discs, that wipe
your HD and reinstall your OS like it was when you first bought the
computer. If you do that, update Windows using Windows Update, then re-
install your games, it will probably fix the problem.

Good luck,

--
-A.
Old April 26th 08, 04:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
codeyh

When I added Local Service and Network Service to administrators... all
my HL2 problems went away.

--
codeyh
Old May 6th 08, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
jackkkkinthebox

What do u mean when u say?

" When I added Local Service and Network Service to
administrators... all my HL2 problems went away." Codey H

Can u give instructions for that please?

--
jackkkkinthebox
Old May 16th 08, 04:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Kyle Guzman

Default steam problems

Does any one know what will happen if you reistall
steam, will it delete your friends list ??