Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

ERROR: hl2.exe has stopped working

Old May 18th 08, 06:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Kyle Guzman

Default hl2.exe has stopped working

can we unistall aim ??

Old May 18th 08, 06:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
VRG Scotty©[_2_]

"Kyle Guzman" wrote in message ...
can we unistall aim ??

try again with a few more details, IE the problem, machine specs vista
version etc...otherwise the only answer you'll get is yes
--
VRG Scotty

www.vistareadygames.com
Register, it's free, and use the 'search for solution' tab for any problems

Old May 20th 08, 11:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

Default steam problems

Kyle Guzman wrote in :

Does any one know what will happen if you reistall
steam, will it delete your friends list ??

It should not, I believe your friends list is stored online.

You can go to http://www.steamcommunities.com and login to your steam
accoun there, you should see all your friends listed there.

Try it from a different system if you're really worried, but as I recall
the Friends list is stored online, not on your computer.

--
-A.
Old May 28th 08, 02:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
tremonti92

Default ERROR: hl2.exe has stopped working

I've got the fix....

Saw this somewhere dont remember who to give credit too =/

"BEFORE you do this, make sure this is actually the problem. One easy
way to tell is by trying to access the "Network and Sharing Center" or
by looking at the network icon in your taskbar. If you cant get into the
network center or if the network icon has a red X and youre sure you are
connected to something, then you have a WMI problem."

For users with Windows Vista Ultimate or Business editions:
(Credit goes to blueshot from MS forums)

Right click "Computer"
Click "Manage"
Double click "Users and Groups"
Click "Groups"
Right click "Administrators"
Click "Add to group..."
Click "Add"
Click "Advanced"
Click "Find Now"
Double click "Local Service"
Click "Ok"
"NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
Click "Ok"
Close Computer Management and reboot.

For users with the Home editions of Vista:
(Credit goes to SWAndersen)
Go to the command prompt (hit run and type in cmd.exe)
and type this in:

net localgroup Administrators /add Local Service

(optional)
then you can type this in:

net localgroup Administrators

and if LOCAL NT AUTHORITY/SERVICE is listed, then it worked. Now go
reboot.

*NOTE: THE REBOOT IS NECESSARY
OTHERWISE EVERYTHING YOU'VE DONE WILL GO TO WASTE
*

--
tremonti92
Old May 30th 08, 03:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
bob_c_b[_37_]

Adding a local service to admins isn't really that great of an idea.

--
bob_c_b

Old May 31st 08, 04:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
tremonti92

@bon_c_b
But it helps................
It has worked with everyone else on the internet...

--
tremonti92
Old May 31st 08, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
bob_c_b[_37_]

tremonti92;731896 Wrote:
@bon_c_b
But it helps................
It has worked with everyone else on the internet...

1. Really, everyone else on the Internet?

2. Creating a security hole as a work around isn't really a solution.

--
bob_c_b

Old June 2nd 08, 12:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
tremonti92

Alright dude, ur wish....
But let me remind everyone else...
This method has worked for EVERYONE who has tried it b4, and they are
having NO problems.... They've reported NO such thing as security holes
or things like that..
Security hole or not...
if u have a good antivirus or firewall, it's good enough...

Everyone who "doesn't want to take the risk" can live with
"hl2.exe has stopped working"....
Like it or not...

I'm just trying to help...

--
tremonti92
Old June 3rd 08, 08:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Olórin[_2_]

"tremonti92" wrote in message

Alright dude, ur wish....
But let me remind everyone else...
This method has worked for EVERYONE who has tried it b4, and they are
having NO problems.... They've reported NO such thing as security holes
or things like that..
Security hole or not...
if u have a good antivirus or firewall, it's good enough...

Everyone who "doesn't want to take the risk" can live with
"hl2.exe has stopped working"....
Like it or not...

I'm just trying to help...

--
tremonti92

No idea what you're on about as you've snipped out all previous posts.

Old June 3rd 08, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

"tremonti92" wrote in message

Alright dude, ur wish....
But let me remind everyone else...
This method has worked for EVERYONE who has tried it b4, and they are
having NO problems.... They've reported NO such thing as security
holes or things like that..
Security hole or not...
if u have a good antivirus or firewall, it's good enough...

Everyone who "doesn't want to take the risk" can live with
"hl2.exe has stopped working"....
Like it or not...

I'm just trying to help...

"Olórin" wrote in
:

No idea what you're on about as you've snipped out all previous posts.

He originally posted some fix for HL2.
--quote--
Right click "Computer"
Click "Manage"
Double click "Users and Groups"
Click "Groups"
Right click "Administrators"
Click "Add to group..."
Click "Add"
Click "Advanced"
Click "Find Now"
Double click "Local Service"
Click "Ok"
"NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
Click "Ok"
Close Computer Management and reboot.

--end-quote--

Guess not everyone realizes this is MS Usenet, lots of Interweb Sitez
copy the group onto web forums.

Actually his suggestion to open a hole in your network security wasn't
that great of a suggestion. It may fix the problem, but could cause
others. Would be better to ask Valve support for assistance, just to
double-check and see if that's the only solution.

Besides, he types you as "u" and your as "ur" (which is hallarious,
because "ur" isn't your, it's actually an abbreviation of "you're", so
he's saying "you are wish...." in a literal sense of the word), do you
really want to take any advice from him without doing a bit of your own
research first?

(Likewise, I'd hope no one here takes any of my advice blindly without
double-checking.)

--
-A.