Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

ERROR: hl2.exe has stopped working

Old April 13th 07, 06:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
wb0d

Default ERROR: hl2.exe has stopped working

I just got a new computer with vista home premium on it. I installed steam,
updated my graphics card drivers, and installed cs:s and it worked great for
a few days. But now, whenever I try to launch cs:s, it just takes me to the
menu screen and then crashes, and I get a message that says "hl2.exe has
stopped working". I reinstalled steam and cs a few times. Then I heard this
was an issue with dep, and I was told that I needed to go to the command
prompt, run as administrator, and type in a command that disabled dep, but
I'm still getting the problem. I seriously don't know what to do. Can anyone
help?
Old April 13th 07, 02:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Dale M. White

Steam and HL2 is are Vista compliant or at least Steam supports vista. I'm
not sure where the DEP issue comes in. I didn't have to do anything with DEP
to get Steam installed and HL2 (and the add-ons) to work.

I'd be more out to look at any other updates or software add that's you've
done to the system. Any tweaks to the firewall, Maybe Windows Defender. Any
anti-Virus software. I'm guessing something else changed.

One thing you could try, is to create another user account, log-in and try
to play with that account. Over in the FEAR forums there was a guy who could
patch the game and when he tried that it worked. If it doesn't work, then
you might have a registry corruption issues or something else going on in
your profile that hindering HL2

Old December 19th 07, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
andrew833

i dont have a answer to that but the same happened to me its because of
AIM it has a virus. there is a file i cant find but if i do ill post
it

N-E-V-E-R- -D-O-W-N-L-O-A-D- -A-I-M- -O-N- -V-I-S-T-A-
-H-L-2-.-e-x-e-'-s- -W-I-L-L- -N-O-T- -W-O-R-K-
S-O- -T-E-L-L- -E-V-E-R-Y- -O-N-E- -T-O- -N-O-T- -D-O-W-N-L-O-A-D-
-A-I-M- -P-L-Z-:-s-l-e-e-p-y-:-

--
andrew833
Old January 4th 08, 11:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
pay101

I'm having the same problem, I have vista ultimate 32bit, and i get the
same exact message. I'm trying to uninstall my sisters stupid aim6 to
see if this works....

--
pay101
Old January 7th 08, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Tim

Are you overclocking? i had the same message for a while. i have vista
ultimate 32. When i raised my vcore or lowered my clock speed to a more
stable level, it worked.

Old January 7th 08, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
pay101[_2_]

Tim;564774 Wrote:
Are you overclocking? i had the same message for a while. i have vista
ultimate 32. When i raised my vcore or lowered my clock speed to a more
stable level, it worked.

I've never overclocked this :/ it does this for HL2, CS:S, and all of
the rest of my steam games.... this also happens to A LOT of games with
any form of a physics engine, if it has anything with physics, (besides
ragdolls) it says "blah blah blah.exe has stopped working" usually
hl2.exe.

--
pay101
Old January 10th 08, 04:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
joshdmorris

I think it has to do with AIM 6's security update. I hadn't gotten on
AIM in a very long time and today i got on and installed the update and
now i get the HL2 error on all my games. Has anyone figured out how to
fix this? My virus scanner doesn't detect any coded viruses inthe files,
so what else could it be? HELP!

--
joshdmorris
Old January 15th 08, 04:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
boontrop

I don't have AIM, but i have the same problem.

--
boontrop
Old January 21st 08, 04:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Chris[_11_]

Has nothing to do with AIM. I had the same problem and have never had
AIM installed on my system. Something to do with STEAM. had to
reinstall steam to get everything working good.
Old February 23rd 08, 11:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Adrole

I had the same problem when I got a new computer with Vista Businiss x64
opening Portal or TF:2 after a few seconds it would either just close or
crash.

It did not start like that though for about 2 days it worked fine, then
it would sometimes crash after playing for a few minutes now it crashes
before it opens.

I actually just set it as an exception in the DEP for steam which might
have helped, still need to test it though.

But here is how you can try the same.

Control Panel System And Maintenance System Advanced System
Settings On the Advanced tab go to setting under Performance then
Data Execution Prevention.

You can either try setting it to "Turn on DEP for essential windows
programs and services only"

Or try turning DEP on for all programs and add Steam as an exception.

I haven't tested if it's fully worked yet, but Portal does open now.

--
Adrole