upgrading graphic card

Old April 13th 07, 10:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BigJim

Default upgrading graphic card

I am going to upgrade my graphics card from and Nvidia 6600gt 128meg to a
7600gt 256 meg card.
Is this going to cause activation problems? Also under XP I would normally
remove the drivers, shutdown the system, remove old card and install the new
one and reboot. Then reinstall the new drivers does this sound like the
right plan.

TIA

Old April 14th 07, 12:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charlie Tame

Take other advice too but yes, it sounds like a good plan to me and should
not affect your activation, however if you can clone or at least use
something like Acronis to back up the entire hard drive first I would most
certainly advise that you do so. If activation problems arise do NOT use the
backup until you replace original hardware.

Charlie

Old April 14th 07, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Drew

Upgrading a video card will not cause any problems that I have seen at
all......7600 gt is a good card....Had one but upgraded to a 7900

Old April 15th 07, 03:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rock

"BigJim" wrote
I am going to upgrade my graphics card from and Nvidia 6600gt 128meg to a
7600gt 256 meg card.
Is this going to cause activation problems? Also under XP I would normally
remove the drivers, shutdown the system, remove old card and install the
new one and reboot. Then reinstall the new drivers does this sound like
the right plan.

The need to reactivate should not be triggered with a video card change. I
have done that with no issues. Check the documentation for the card to
confirm the installation procedure.
--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Old April 21st 07, 10:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
nweissma

I don't recollect the location - some ms knowledge base - but I understand
that ms uses a point system to decide when it's time to reactivate. they
assign points to hardware devices, and if the sum of the points of the
devices that you alter sum to 10 or greater then you must contact ms to
reactivate.

the MVP's would know more about this.

--

--Fool On The Hill
"BigJim" wrote

Old April 21st 07, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

The graphics card counts for 1 point so you do note need to reactivate.
Also Instead of a 7600GT I suggest the just released and available 8500GT
which is equivalent in power. It has a new version of PureVideo called HD
PureVideo, DX 10 support, draws less power and is much less expensive (About
$100) since it is made with a smaller die.

"nweissma" wrote in message
I don't recollect the location - some ms knowledge base - but I understand
that ms uses a point system to decide when it's time to reactivate. they
assign points to hardware devices, and if the sum of the points of the
devices that you alter sum to 10 or greater then you must contact ms to
reactivate.

the MVP's would know more about this.

--

--Fool On The Hill
"BigJim" wrote

Old April 21st 07, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rock

"nweissma" wrote
I don't recollect the location - some ms knowledge base - but I understand
that ms uses a point system to decide when it's time to reactivate. they
assign points to hardware devices, and if the sum of the points of the
devices that you alter sum to 10 or greater then you must contact ms to
reactivate.

the MVP's would know more about this.

"Rock" wrote

"BigJim" wrote
I am going to upgrade my graphics card from and Nvidia 6600gt 128meg to a
7600gt 256 meg card.
Is this going to cause activation problems? Also under XP I would
normally remove the drivers, shutdown the system, remove old card and
install the new one and reboot. Then reinstall the new drivers does this
sound like the right plan.

The need to reactivate should not be triggered with a video card change.
I have done that with no issues. Check the documentation for the card
to confirm the installation procedure.

Why are you posting this to me? I'm not the one with the question, and I
already replied to the OP.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Old April 21st 07, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

AFAIK I replied to nweissma . Also I did not have any of the thread
content prior to nweissma's post of 4/21
"nweissma" wrote

Old April 21st 07, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rock

"Rock" wrote in message
"nweissma" wrote
[...]

Sorry JW, I misread it.