No sound(desperate!)

Old April 14th 07, 04:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bellamoose

Default No sound(desperate!)

Okay, the sound was working just fine the other day, I used my ipod, music
etc..no problem. But now there is no sound and every time i click on volume
control it there is no active mixer...ok. So I have gone through a million
troubleshoots and a million of these posts. i can't find anything that can
help. Oh and when i get to the devices thing to set my default thing it won't
let me click on anything....can anyone please help? (very detailed...I’m
incompetent when it comes to fixing stuff) thanks!

Old April 14th 07, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dev

/bellamoose/ said:

Okay, the sound was working just fine the other day, I used my ipod, music
etc..no problem. But now there is no sound and every time i click on volume
control it there is no active mixer...ok. So I have gone through a million
troubleshoots and a million of these posts. I can't find anything that can
help. Oh and when I get to the devices thing to set my default thing it won't
let me click on anything....can anyone please help? (very detailed...I’m
incompetent when it comes to fixing stuff) thanks!

Check first that nothing is muted, and that the volume control is turned
up. Right-click the speaker icon at the bottom-right of the window and
review the options that are presented.

It is conceivable that the sound drivers need reinstalling. Ask a
friend who understands what that entails to help you, or visit a
competent repair shop.
Old April 15th 07, 08:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jack K

"bellamoose" wrote in message
Okay, the sound was working just fine the other day, I used my ipod, music
etc..no problem. But now there is no sound and every time i click on
volume
control it there is no active mixer...ok. So I have gone through a million
troubleshoots and a million of these posts. i can't find anything that can
help. Oh and when i get to the devices thing to set my default thing it
won't
let me click on anything....can anyone please help? (very detailed...I’m
incompetent when it comes to fixing stuff) thanks!

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FE45G/W and if I use the sleep mode, the sound is
often lost after coming out of "sleep". So, AVOID using the sleep mode!
Microsoft has published a fix for this KB929685, but when I try and install
it, I get a message that says: "The update does not apply to your system". I
did use the correct version (32 bit) of KB929685:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929685/

So I'm not sure why my no audio with Vista problem shouldn't respond to
KB929685?

Anyway, I tried doing this:

Control Panel: System: Device Manager: Sound video and game controllers:
expand and right click on high definition audio device: then uninstall the
driver. Then put the computer to sleep and power up again and the driver is
reinstalled. This worked OK, but then since that time, if I use the sleep
mode again, the sound is sometimes lost again. So I went through the
uninstall procedure again, and went in and out of sleep, and it still didn't
bring the sound back. GRRRR... but after a couple of complete power downs
and reboots, the sound did reappear! So this uninstallation trick doesn't
always work and persistence is needed!

Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers is often the first step in solving
lack of sound (and other) problems, but my post may not work for your
problem.

Old April 17th 07, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Don

bellamoose wrote:
thanks for the reply but whats a driver lol sorry i have no idea

Oh my, that's a big question. Here is a general summary (but don't
spend too much time on the details):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_driver

Jack's advice is correct for MS Windows -- because, even after decades
of (feckless) effort, MS is still not able to get driver installation
right.

I must give them credit for trying, however. They've finally accepted
responsibility for testing and certifying the device drivers provided
by hardware vendors -- that's where the 'digitally signed by MS'
attribute of each device driver comes in.

Unfortunately, the hardware vendors are lagging lamely behind in
suppling MS-approved device drivers. That's the main reason by far
why so many people like you are suffering through problems which you
didn't (and shouldn't) expect to encounter.

Tincture of time will solve this. Meanwhile, I can't fix your problem,
but if you hang in there, I'm sure someone else will )