USB FDD (Lacie Pocket USB FDD - Myfloppy3) not detected correctly

Old April 15th 07, 07:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
steven

Default USB FDD (Lacie Pocket USB FDD - Myfloppy3) not detected correctly

I am using vista ultimate, on Asus A8N-VM-CSM Motherboard. PC has no
floppy drive and I am attempting to use a USB Floppy drive (Lacie - Pocket
USB FDD Myfloppy3). Upon connection nothing happens, a quick check in
device manager indicates under USB controllers - standard openHCD USB Host
Controller with an (!) exclamation mark. Properties show:

-----
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other
devices on this system.
Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft
and to see if there is a solution available.
-----

Clicking check for solutions provides nothing. The USB ports on the pc
then fail to work until i uninstall all USB controllers from device
manager and reboot. The USB ports work OK with a flash drive I have, and
the floppy drive functions correctly on an XP PC I have. I can boot from
a boot disk if I have it in the drive whilst the PC reboots. I have
disabled as much as possible in both device manager and BIOS (onboard
audio, onboard VGA, etc).

When plugging the drive into an XP PC the drive is detected as a Y-E brand
device.

Lacie's website has no information regarding this, and the website for Y-E
indicate that the device should work under vista, as it is natively
supported by the OS Drivers. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction.

Can someone point me the right direction.

Thanks

Steve
Old April 15th 07, 12:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi Steven,

Upon connection nothing happens

Not so, something is happening, it's just not the right thing. There is some
basic incompatibility going on here that is resulting in a resource
conflict. Have you updated the BIOS to the latest instruction set from Asus.
Checked with their support on Vista compatibility with this motherboard?

You already know that the device works ok, and that your USB works ok
otherwise with other devices. It may also be that the device requires a
firmware update to run properly under Vista.

Run System Information (msinfo32) and see what devices are conflicting when
it fails (Hardware/Conflicts).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

news

Old April 15th 07, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
steven

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:14:30 +1000, Rick Rogers wrote:

Hi Steven,

Upon connection nothing happens

Not so, something is happening, it's just not the right thing. There is
some basic incompatibility going on here that is resulting in a resource
conflict. Have you updated the BIOS to the latest instruction set from
Asus. Checked with their support on Vista compatibility with this
motherboard?

You already know that the device works ok, and that your USB works ok
otherwise with other devices. It may also be that the device requires a
firmware update to run properly under Vista.

Run System Information (msinfo32) and see what devices are conflicting
when it fails (Hardware/Conflicts).

Very true. Something is happening. Just ran msinfo32, and it appears
that the standard openHCD USB Host Controller is sharing the same IRQ as
the Sound Card. After work I'll remove it and let you know the results.
As for drivers, etc, out of luck as ASUS in their infinite wisdom appear
to not be supporting VISTA on this motherboard.

Thanks

Steve
Old April 15th 07, 11:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

May help just to move the sound card to a different slot. But, there may
also be a basic BIOS incompatibility with Vista (which may be why it isn't
supported in Vista).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

news

Old April 16th 07, 09:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
steven

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:29:40 +1000, Rick Rogers wrote:

Hi,

May help just to move the sound card to a different slot. But, there may
also be a basic BIOS incompatibility with Vista (which may be why it
isn't supported in Vista).

I decided to remove the Sound Card so I wouldn't have to rearrange my IDE
RAID Controller Card. With the Sound Card Removed I still receive the
same problem. I think its a motherboard / Vista combination. I'm looking
at upgrading in a few months, so until then I'll just find an ordinary FDD
to use. I would like to thank you Rick, for your assistance.

Steve
Old February 26th 10, 08:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
maridian

att steve in regards to your FDD. i found that you can mount hard drive
from old computer and asus mb will detect and read, and if you want to
add FDD you need start up discs for your driver to run DOS.

--
maridian