Stripped volume goes "Offline" permanently after a reboot

Old April 17th 07, 03:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bill Griffin

Default Stripped volume goes "Offline" permanently after a reboot

I spend 2 hours on the phone this morning with the Vista team of Microsoft
Customer Support and the end result was "talk to Dell or Seagate". So I'm
hoping that some of you other MSFT support folks have some info or know of
someone that I can contact to get this working right.

I've got a three-disk stripped set that is permanently "Offline" and will
not come back using "Reactivate Disk" in Disk Manager.

I had three 320GB SATA drives stripped using a Windows stripped volume. One
of the drives died so I replaced all three of them with three new 750GB
Seagate drives. I booted into Vista x64 and formatted all three of them as a
Basic Disk just to confirm that they all appeared to work OK. After a full
format and a full chkdsk (with search for bad sectors) everything was looking
fine. So I deleted the three temporary partitions and then created a stripped
volume that spanned all three. A full format of this volme and a full chkdsk
showed that it was working fine. I restored my data. Everything worked great
for a week - until the first reboot.

After the reboot (which was clean - no errors), there is no D: drive. I go
into Disk Manager and it shows that Vista recognizes all three drives. It
also recognizes that there is a stripped volume spanning all three drives.
Yet it refuses to mount the volume. It says that it is "Offline" and any
attempt to use the "Reactivate Disk" action just returns the following error:
"The attempted operation is invalid. Either the parameters specified are
invalid or the operation cannot be completed on the selected object."

I've tried multiple reboots. I've power cycled the system. I've updated the
BIOS, chipset drivers, and SATA drivers with the latest versions from Dell.

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope :-)

Machine Config:
Dell Precision 690 with two dual-core Xeon procs (4 cores total)
4GB RAM
The OS disk is two 150GB 10K rpm SATA drives using hardware RAID 0 which
Vista sees as a single drive (shows up as disk 3)
The data disk is three 750GB 7200rpm SATA drives using Windows software
striping so Vista sees them as three separate disks (disks 0, 1, and 2) and a
single volume