Old October 12th 07, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

To whom it may concern:

I have an Acer 5102 WLMi Notebook, which came with an
(ENE CB 712/714/810) “5-in-1” Memory Card Reader. The
important identifying information is provided below:

Acer Aspire 5102WLMi (w/o Bluetooth, Orbicam, or TV Tuner)
Model No: BL51
AS5102WLMI-MCEEN-TL50/15.4
ACB/512M/100G US
S/N: LXABH0J0116380F0B41601

The system came with Windows XP Media Center Edition loaded and I have
upgraded the OS to Vista x64, thereby voiding the warranty. Vista x64
works very well; but when I try to install an SD card, Windows
“Plug & Play” will reach various stages of installing the
driver software before crashing with a Blue Screen, where the video is
also scrambled, so it’s impossible to read the error message. This
looks a lot like a "short-circuit" to me. My card reader was only
designed to support SDA 1.1, which supports SD Cards up to 2GB. I used
the correct card. I used a "SanDisk Extreme III 2GB SD Card," which
I’m reasonably confident is not SDHC, so my unit, which was
manufactured in November 2006, should be able to read it. I’ve
read several online Blogs regarding SD cards causing BSODs in Vista. The
articles point to 1.8v & 3.3v being activated when SD cards only use
3.3v. The symptoms are looking an awful lot to me like one of the
system’s logic voltages is being pulled low, causing the OS Kernel
to stop working. I have the related Hotfix from Microsoft installed; but
I’m still having problems. It’s possible my Card Reader is
bad, or perhaps I purchased a defective SD card. These are also
possibilities. I would like to get this unit functioning properly under
Vista x64, preferably with SDHC support. I have the correct drivers
installed for this OS and Device Manager states “the device is
working properly.” If I cannot get the device working properly, I
would like to upgrade the internal Memory Card reader with one that is
known to be compatible with Vista x64. I realize this will probably
involve making changes to the motherboard; but I'm sure there is a
vendor out there somewhere knowledgeable enough and willing to do this.

Thanks, John

--
coljohnhannibalsmith