Old October 13th 07, 06:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_3_]

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Barb,

I located the driver file in the "Travelmate 6292" folder. It was also
located in one or two others. The drivers loaded successfully, then I
was prompted to restart the computer, which I did. I installed the SD
card and was prompted to format it. The screen went blank and came back
on. I then got a window stating that Windows had shut down; but I was
able to close that window and press "OK" to start the format. The
format proceeded for about a minute, then I got a Blue Screen again,
with scrambled video, just like before. I removed the SD card and
performed a cold boot to reload Windows. When Windows reloaded I got
the following error message:

Problem signatu
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 0000000000003452
BCP2: 00000000001E0000
BCP3: FFFFF70000081508
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini101207-02.dmp
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-41890-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WERDBD9.tmp.versi on.txt

Read our privacy statement:
'Microsoft Online Crash Analysis'
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409)

I tried one more time with similar results.

BTW, I finally read the release notes for the previous drivers I was
using and for the new drivers. It appears the drivers I was using
before were for XP x64. Oddly enough, I was able to install these
through Device Manager. At least this set was intended for Vista x64.
I also learned from reading the release notes, that this set of drivers
is intended to provide SDHC support. My card reader's still not
working; but at least I know that my card reader can be updated for SDHC
support, by drivers alone. Perhaps a Hotfix or a driver tweak will
allow me to get the reader working. Fortunately, I don't think I'm
going to need to modify the mother board anymore.

I have an active "Paid" trouble ticket open with Microsoft for this
issue. If they provide me with a resolution, I will share it with all
of you.

I'm really at a loss for what to try next. I'm pretty sure the drivers
are correct. This is looking more and more like a Vista issue. I'm
wondering if I should try a different brand of SD card, or just wait to
hear back from MS. I'm also wondering how to "tweak" a driver. Device
Manager states these drivers were built with "WinDDK." I guess I'll
have to Google this to find out what this means. Can anyone describe
what the rudimentary procedures are for tweaking a driver?

Thanks, John

--
coljohnhannibalsmith

I love it when a plan comes together.