Old October 13th 07, 08:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

did MS support ask for the crash data? if not, when you email them
again, tell them you have this info.

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 01:24:53 -0500, coljohnhannibalsmith
wrote:

Barb,

I located the driver file in the "Travelmate 6292" folder. It was also
located in one or two others. The drivers loaded successfully, then I
was prompted to restart the computer, which I did. I installed the SD
card and was prompted to format it. The screen went blank and came back
on. I then got a window stating that Windows had shut down; but I was
able to close that window and press "OK" to start the format. The
format proceeded for about a minute, then I got a Blue Screen again,
with scrambled video, just like before. I removed the SD card and
performed a cold boot to reload Windows. When Windows reloaded I got
the following error message:

Problem signatu
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 0000000000003452
BCP2: 00000000001E0000
BCP3: FFFFF70000081508
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini101207-02.dmp
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-41890-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\WERDBD9.tmp.vers ion.txt

Read our privacy statement:
'Microsoft Online Crash Analysis'
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409)

I tried one more time with similar results.

BTW, I finally read the release notes for the previous drivers I was
using and for the new drivers. It appears the drivers I was using
before were for XP x64. Oddly enough, I was able to install these
through Device Manager. At least this set was intended for Vista x64.
I also learned from reading the release notes, that this set of drivers
is intended to provide SDHC support. My card reader's still not
working; but at least I know that my card reader can be updated for SDHC
support, by drivers alone. Perhaps a Hotfix or a driver tweak will
allow me to get the reader working. Fortunately, I don't think I'm
going to need to modify the mother board anymore.

I have an active "Paid" trouble ticket open with Microsoft for this
issue. If they provide me with a resolution, I will share it with all
of you.

I'm really at a loss for what to try next. I'm pretty sure the drivers
are correct. This is looking more and more like a Vista issue. I'm
wondering if I should try a different brand of SD card, or just wait to
hear back from MS. I'm also wondering how to "tweak" a driver. Device
Manager states these drivers were built with "WinDDK." I guess I'll
have to Google this to find out what this means. Can anyone describe
what the rudimentary procedures are for tweaking a driver?

Thanks, John

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP