lnk file association

Old April 23rd 07, 07:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ilia Sacson [MS]

Default lnk file association

Could you post the regfile you are trying to apply, or point to where you've
got it? I'd like to try it myself.

Do you have spyware protection tools, uninstall monitors or registry
cleaners running?

Process Explorer
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx)
can list all handles opened by all processes. You can give it a try, and see
if anything references keys mentioned in your reg file.

Process Explorer can kill pretty much any process dead. For example, if you
kill explorer with it, it won't respawn. You can try killing explorer with
it (or whatever you find opens them subkeys) and then apply the reg file
from command line.

Ilia

"Daemonfyre" wrote in message
The only thing that's showing anything other than those normal results you
listed is:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\CTF\DirectSwitchHotkeys

The result is NO MORE ENTRIES. I check and set it's permissions to my
account too but still get the same message.

"Ilia Sacson [MS]" wrote:

Hmm. Well, let's do it the hard way then. Please install Process Monitor
from he
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx.
This nice program allows monitoring all file, registry and other
activity.
Start it up. Then configure it to show registry activity only (the
toolbar
button that looks like regedit.exe's icon pressed, other two not
pressed),
and open the reg file. The message should ask you if you really mean to
add
that stuff to the registry. Do not press anything, go back to Process
Monitor, scroll down to where regedit.exe first appears in the Process
Name
column. Right-click, Include..., Process Name. Now you only see what's
regedit doing to the registry. Clear the view by pressing Control+X keys
or
the little page and erazer button on the toolbar. Now go back to that
confirmation dialog and press Yes.

Process Monitor should show all the registry operations that regedit
tried
to do to change the registry according to the reg file. In the Results
column, search for anything other than SUCCESS or NAME NOT FOUND or
REPARSE
or BUFFER OVERFLOW, these are expected. ACCESS DENIED would be good, or
something like that. In the Path column, it should mention where exactly
the
access is denied. Then try setting right permissions on these keys.

Ilia

"Daemonfyre" wrote in message
Tried in safe mode, no luck. Also tried in safe mode with command
prompt,
still no change. And I've gone through every program that's listed in
the
task manager that would close and stay closed and tried it again, still
no
luck. It just keeps giving me that error message.

"Ilia Sacson [MS]" wrote:

Have you tried to do it in safe mode? Do you have any spyware
protectors/registry watchers running?
Ilia

"Daemonfyre" wrote in message
Yes, I went in and verified each item under the key individually,
all
were
set to admin group(which is me, as this is my home comp and I'm the
only
user) except one that was set to "TrustedInstaller" I set all of
them
specifically to my profile, rebooted and tried again, no luck, still
gives
the error message.

"Ilia Sacson [MS]" wrote:

Daemonfyre,

Have you verified that you have the right to modify these regkeys?
You
may
have to take ownership of the keys your regfile modifies and then
grant
yourself (or your group such as Admins) full access. Apply the
change
recusrively (to the key and all subkeys). The keys are probably
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile.

Thanks,
Ilia

"Daemonfyre" wrote in
message
Long story short, I'm another one of the dozens of people whose
shortcuts
and
start menu files have turned into unassociated .lnk files. I've
looked
at
several other threads and tried the fix that they point to,
namely
the
.reg
fix file. However, whenever I try to merge the file I get an
error
message
that reads:

Cannot import C:\lnk_vista.reg: Not all data was successfully
written
the
registry. Some of the keys are open by the system or other
processes.

I've tried closing every program in the task manager that will
stay
closed
and it still gives the error message. I've tried moving the file
from
C:\
the desktop, tried running regedit and merging the file through
that
and
no
luck. Could it have something to do with the fact that I
manually
assigned
an association to the .lnk extension through the Default Programs
option?
If
so then is there any way to dis-associate them so they can be
properly
re-associated? Or does anyone know any other way to fix this
problem?

Old April 23rd 07, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Daemonfyre

The link to the file is the one I posted earlier:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/

I downloaded the lnk fix file from there. And I tried the new program you
suggest and I don't see anything that looks to me like it's trying to access
the keys, I made sure any of the Norton stuff that came with the Vista
upgrade was killed and killed Windows Defender, still got the message.
Killed explorer and ran the file through Process Explorer and it still gives
the error message.
Old April 24th 07, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ilia Sacson [MS]

Try removing this part:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\PropertySheetHan dlers\ShimLayer Property
Page]
@="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

Old April 24th 07, 02:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Daemonfyre

Yay, progress! Ok, that time it took the file and the changes, no error
message. But all of my lnk icons are still Adobe Reader icons(the last
program I manually assigned the extension to through Default Programs when I
was trying to make certain of what had happened) and still open through it
even after a restart.

Old April 24th 07, 11:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Daemonfyre

Nothing like that there, and wouldn't that just fix the icon display? My
real issue is getting the .lnk shortcuts to open the files they are supposed
to be directed at like they are supposed to(IE my Guild Wars link opening
Guild Wars instead of making Adobe Reader try to open the .exe file for
instance).
Old April 24th 07, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
dean-dean

Sorry, I had understood that your .lnk files were now working, but showing
the wrong icons, from your last post. You may also have to repair .exe file
associations from http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/ . When you
right-click on a .lnk file, and open the target location, does clicking on
the actual .exe file the shortcut points to open Adobe Reader, and does it
have the Adobe Reader icon?

news

Old April 24th 07, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
dean-dean

I think I would try the .exe file association repair from
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/ as well. Somehow, Adobe Reader
is wrongly in the equation registry-wise, but I'm not sure where that is.
If you could, export (by right-clicking on the key) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk
to, say, your desktop and save it as Lnk.reg. Right-click on Lnk.reg, and
choose Edit. Notepad will open; copy all the information and paste it into
your reply, so that we can see exactly what is in that key.

Old April 24th 07, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Daemonfyre

Exe filefix didn't do anything. Here's the exports from .lnk:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk]
@="lnkfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx\{000214EE-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx\{000214F9-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx\{00021500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellNew]
"Handler"="{ceefea1b-3e29-4ef1-b34c-fec79c4f70af}"
"IconPath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65 ,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\
74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d ,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,73,\
00,68,00,65,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00 ,6c,00,6c,00,2c,00,2d,00,\
31,00,36,00,37,00,36,00,39,00,00,00
,-30397"
,-30318"
"NullFile"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellNew\Config]
"DontRename"=""

and lnkfile(just in case):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
@="Shortcut"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000001
,-4153"
"IsShortcut"=""
"NeverShowExt"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\CLSID]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandl ers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandl ers\OpenContainingFolderMenu]
@="{37ea3a21-7493-4208-a011-7f9ea79ce9f5}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandl ers\{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\IconHandler]