Old October 17th 07, 12:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
bryan

Default Vista Won't Recognize Burn Function

Worked like a charm, thanks! I assume this hotfix will be included in SP1 for
those who are not as proactive about troubleshooting?

"jimrx4" wrote:

If you have serial hard drive(s) try kb930194. Search it first cauze there's
a 32 and 64 bit version.

I have a 32 bit system/serial drives and this fixed my problem.

jimrx4

"Bryan" wrote in message
I have a custom-built desktop with Vista Ultimate x64, and Vista won't
recognize the burn function of my optical drive. I have swapped two
different
internal optical drives, neither could burn discs natively in Vista: one
was
a generic DVD-R/CD-RW drive, and the other is a Liteon LH-20A1P 20X Dual
Layer DVD±RW (installed currently). In the 'Computer' directory, the
Liteon
drive is listed as a 'DVD RW Drive'. In the Device Manager, the Liteon
drive
type is listed as: 'DVD/CD-ROM drives', and the device description is
listed
as: 'CD-ROM Drive'.
It reads CD and DVD discs without issue, but Vista will not recognize a
blank disc in the drive. In addition, the 'Burn' feature of Windows Media
Player prompts me to 'Connect a Burner and restart the Player'.
3rd-Party burning software works without issue, but Vista will not
natively
recognize the burn function of these drives. Does anyone know how to
enable
the native burn function in Vista?