Old October 19th 07, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_6_]

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Vivian at MS next had me attempt to use the SD card in "Device" Clean
Boot mode. This involves opening Device Manager and disabling all
non-essential devices, which I did, inluding the other two components of
the 5-in-1 card reader, which were not being used. When I inserted the
SD card, the system Blue Sceened almost inmediately. So, it appears the
problem is either with the driver or with Vista itself. I can't wait to
hear the response from MS! BTW, Vivian said that if necessary she will
open a separate Trouble Ticket for the "memtest.exe" problem, free of
charge. This one definitely sounds like an MS isssue, so at least
they're taking responsibility for it. I don't know if I'll ultimately
get a resolution; but so far their service has been pretty good.

Anyway, I've learned a little bit about device driver troubleshooting.
It apears the process is to test the device in Safe Mode and if stable,
test again in Clean Boot mode. If stable, reenable applications and
services until the device fails and you've found the culprit. If
unstable in Clean Boot mode, test the device in Device Clean Boot mode.
If stable, reenable devices until the device under consideration fails
and again you've found you're culprit. If unstable, then the issue is
either with the driver itself or the OS. Very interesting! This is where
I am now.

If MS places the blame on the driver my next step will be to post the
text of the .INF files here, for the drivers that aren't working and
perhaps the original XP x32 drivers, which I've never tested; but assume
must have worked when the unit shipped. Then with luck a knowledgeable
person might be able to examine them and point out any differences that
could potentially be the source of the problem. This set of drivers
actually contains 4 components. The CardBus driver, the SD/MMC Card
Reader, the MS/MS Pro Card Reader and the xD Card Reader. I intend to
post the .INF files for all 4 devices for the failing driver set and a
known good driver set, albeit for XP x32. I believe I have all the tools
I need to edit drivers now. I've got the .CAB SDK, the Vista WDK, WINPE2
and the Express version of MS Visual Studio 2005 and all the relevant
components. At this point all I'll need is a couple of hints to point me
in the right direction. Wow, I never thought I'd get this deep into this
mud hole, yikes!

--
coljohnhannibalsmith

I love it when a plan comes together.