2 gigs worth of memory frustration

Old April 22nd 07, 03:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
thedraphter

Default 2 gigs worth of memory frustration

I built a computer, and it is running along fine. I started out with 2 gigs
of ram, knowing that i would buy 2 more later when I could afford it. I
bought the second 2 gigs, and installed them.

Befo
I had 2 gig, and it showed 2 gig.....no problem

Now:
(with memory remap feature OFF) Bios shows 4 gig, but windows jumps sputters
and reboots itself quite often.

or

(with memory remap feature ON) Bios shows 4 gig, windows shows 2.0 gig.

I'm not a moron, I'm ignorant (big difference). I've searched dozens of
dozens of forums etc. the big issue I see is that people are only getting
2.8 Gig or 3.2 gig showing. I see that as a 32 bit issue, and I understand.
I am not getting that much, I'm only getting 2.0 gig. I would love to get up
to 2.8, I know it won't show all of it, but I want to get some of it.....it
isn't showing any of the 2nd 2 gigs.

set up: Asus p5b Deluxe - Intel c2d e6600 - 4 x 1 gig Kingston 667mhz
memory - EVGA GeForce 7600GT 256 MB - Rosewill 550W power supply - 3 x 250
GB Western digital Caviar Sata HD (set up Raid 5) - Lian Li PC-7B case with
extra fan (stays very cool) - 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium - Hauppauge
WinTV-PVR 500 MCE - Windows Media Center remote control (OEM).
Old April 22nd 07, 03:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

"thedraphter" wrote in message
[...]

If the computer is rebooting often then something is probably wrong with the
RAM. Test the RAM.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old April 22nd 07, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

The following link may help you. At least it points out that when you have
4GB that real memory addresssing and driver cards are sharing the same
address space which is probably what is causing the rebooting.
I suggest that you also make sure you have the latest BIOS for your MOBO.

Old April 22nd 07, 04:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Woops forgot the link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Old April 23rd 07, 03:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
nsag

RAM failures are increasingly common.
If the RAM is defective, or less likely the Mobo controller, the Microsoft
memory diagnostic will quickly fail.
A more straightforward test is to just use your two new ram sticks in place
of your older RAM. If you see the same problems then the RAM is defective.
However good luck getting the manufacturer to stand behind the "lifetime"
warranty.

Old April 24th 07, 06:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
motarola2

disable the automatic restart to get the BSOD code
try one memory stick at the time on each slot on the mobo.
also run memory diagnostic on each of the sticks
check that you purchased memory of the same frequency as the other

--
motarola2